Any archtop fans out there?

What's Hot
DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
Any archtop fans out there? I've been playing the same guitar most of the time for the last 20 odd years [a customised Yamaha MSG standard] but nowaways just tend to play it acoustically whilst wandering around the flat. It's a wonderfully vibrant guitar and this feels and sounds fine but of late I've been thinking about a change, something a bit more acoustic but not necessarily the whole round soundhole. Again primarily for just strapping on and playing to myself but I prefer to stand and move around rather than sit.  Anyways, archtop fans what its all about, what makes them so different and exciting to play and to listen to?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    They're alive !!!!!!!
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51
    It is proper guitar playing as opposed to relying on machines to create tone
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 337
    thanks you for the wise words Jalapeno and tonyrath ... I think a trip to Mairants or maybe Guitar Village is in order ...
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1372
    edited May 2014
    Jalapeno said:
    They're alive !!!!!!!
    They are indeed. I have an Archtop that I made under Mark Bailey's guidance. Quite an experience as Archtops are the most time consuming guitars to make by the time you've carved the Back and the Top. Just be aware that the Back of an Archtop is designed to move / vibrate when the strings are plucked. This means that you ideally need to leave a little space between the Back of the Guitar and your body. If the Back is against your body, then there is a slight dampening effect on the sound. That's why they generally don't have Strap Buttons on them.
  • downbytheriverdownbytheriver Frets: 1061
    Love my archtops - Gretsch Synchromatics, beautiful and so playable. The G400JV (jimmy Vaughan) has the fishman archtop system in it - unbelievable acoustic tone when plugged in. I find them all very hard to resist and they go for silly low money on the bay.
  • peterbpeterb Frets: 0

I'm gonna go for an archtop this year.

I want it to be fully acoustic (without a pick up) and to be big.

I intend to use it with heavy gauge strings.

I guess I'm looking at 4 or 500 hundred pounds.

I've looked around and seen some Hofners from the 60's going for around £900.

The GRETSCH G9550 looks good and affordable.

I fancied The Loar lower range guitars but then found a really damning review.

There's Godin 5th Avenue guitars. Again affordable.

It's great fun researching this as they are all such beautiful instruments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24864
    edited January 2015
    Worth checking out Sky Arts 'Mark Knopfler Guitar Stories' (it's on YT) where he visits the Monteleone work shop. Much archtop loveliness in evidence....
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Love em! To mirror what archtop dave said, it takes a bit of getting used to not having the guitar pressed against you, but it becomes second nature in the end,
  • Love my Gretsch archtops. If you can find one, the G400JV is a killer but a bit beyond your budget.
  • I neeeeed an ES-175!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    I'm gassing for an archtop too, it's a couple of places down the list though.

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

• MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    edited January 2015
    hobbio said:
    I'm gassing for an archtop too, it's a couple of places down the list though.
    £269 gets you a new one of these @hobbio - nothing quite like an archtop - bit of jazz, go on, go on, go on - just trying to spend your money for you... Actually I'm tempted myself, so admit I'm just trying to satisfy the GAS vicariously through your good self... :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • hobbiohobbio Frets: 3440
    @Megii you f**ker lol!

Now the list reads:

Thinline Tele
    Blackstar HT5 head
    That Ibanez Megii linked me to!

You want to buy a 12 string or a Schecter?

:D

electric proddy probe machine

My trading feedback thread

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    hobbio said:
    @Megii you f**ker lol!

Now the list reads:

Thinline Tele
    Blackstar HT5 head
    That Ibanez Megii linked me to!

You want to buy a 12 string or a Schecter?

:D
    Hee hee... Forgive me, sorry - does seem to be a buyers market out there at the mo though, lots of interesting ways to spend one's money. Unfortunately not in the market for a Schecter, or indeed that nice 12 string you have advertised, but do wish you luck with those sales mate.