Wavecaster Homage....how?

What's Hot
Back in the Interrmusic Forum days @Timmyo had a Squier Strat that had been painted with an image of the Great Wave off Kanagawa. I missed out on buying it by about two hours.it looked fantastic. I wish to have my own. I've always loved the fabric covered guitars such as the Jem Floral and the Fender Paisley guitars. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/afbc0fdf6d761135983f304258a488b3_zps3927190c.jpg I can order a correct size one for several flat front guitars. Do I get a paper one or a linen type one...not too bothered about a perfect finish, in fact if it has a little bit of "weathering" it may work a bit better. My plan is to use some kind of glue to attach it to the body and clear coat it. I also realise I'll have to try and mask/blend the edges.... Any tips?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    Where's Jooky when you need him?
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7791
    edited May 2014
    I regret selling that *edit* is it actually possible to post pics from ipad to here by any means?
    Red ones are better. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    If the linen one isn't too thick I'd go with that but either would work - use some modgepodge as glue and watch out for air bubbles but otherwise it's not too hard.    Spraying the sides of the guitar to overlap the edge is possibly the harder part if you want it to look really neat.
    Jooky will be along shortly to give a detailed description of the process...

Looking forward to seeing some pics when's it's done :)
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    TimmyO said:
    I regret selling that *edit* is it actually possible to post pics from ipad to here by any means?

Load them to photo bucket, copy the Direct image link and then paste it in the text box, it doesn't need the old [img] thing! just the direct link....I searched for wavecaster on Google but there are no images...
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    Jooky put up detailed instructions on fitting fabric here
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

I have no idea how to help with this but I hoped this well meant humour might make you smile.

Maybe if Gibson made it, it would (Should) look like this.............................

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t42/roogie14/Cookiewave_zps8a53ac53.jpg

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    Well that looks easy enough. I think my recently acquired Squier Standard Tele will be getting a paisley finish and Nashville style electronics. If that goes ok then I think my Squier Showmaster may get the Wave as it doesn't have a pick guard. @Alnico I'm very tempted to do your Cookie Monster version!
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Niallmo said:
    Well that looks easy enough. I think my recently acquired Squier Standard Tele will be getting a paisley finish and Nashville style electronics. If that goes ok then I think my Squier Showmaster may get the Wave as it doesn't have a pick guard. @Alnico I'm very tempted to do your Cookie Monster version!

I'm really pleased you took it as the humour it was intended. I actually really like the original design you posted and I reckon it would look lovely on a Telecaster Cabronita myself (scratchplate removed first so the design dominates the front of the guitar body) but when I saw it I knew I had the comedy version on my hard drive and just couldn't help myself posting it.

I will keep an eye on this discussion, it's a really nice idea and I love the concept of fabric on a guitar.

In the 60's my Uncle and my Dad built a 'Triton' Café Racer motorcycle and instead of the traditional Polished Alloy petrol tank, they covered it in black leather !

Quite often 'Cool' only happens when you step away from what it's generic definition.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7791
    Niallmo;242985" said:
    TimmyO said:

I regret selling that

*edit* is it actually possible to post pics from ipad to here by any means?

Load them to photo bucket, copy the Direct image link and then paste it in the text box, it doesn't need the old [img] thing! just the direct link....I searched for wavecaster on Google but there are no images...
    That just posted the text of the url

Red ones are better. 
    @timmyo are you using an iPad or iPhone? It shows the URL on the device you use but everyone else should see it...
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Yeah, you see the URL, then when you refresh you'll see the picture
    Well, I have my material and the Mod Podge Glue. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/e43c14c166147b7a54adb561a3023051_zps82fc0d81.jpg Don't know when I'll get time to try and sort it out but hopefully within the next few weeks. I must remember to document the process!