Strat vs PRS advice,

What's Hot
So, i now have 2 guitars. A 1981 Ibanez artist AR100 and a new vintage John Verity signature ‘stratalike’. I only dabble in this hobby so I am just a strummer really, but I would like to get back into playing electric and I was looking maybe for a second hand PRS. I am by no means proficient and have limited experience of playing different types/makes of guitar. 

My my dilemma is this: I now really like the strat neck and balance vs my Ibanez , so to get the best bang for my buck, I am thinking of selling both guitars to buy one new (read second hand) keeper. 

I intend end to go and play some other guitars, but given my schedule over the next few weeks, I cannot do this until at least the middle of October. Will a PRS SE or similar double cut give me a similar balance and neck to a strat, but with the added versatility of split humbuckers, or should I be looking at a better second hand strat, or finally, shut I just keep what I have got?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5485
    For me Strats are Strats and while some PRSi capture elements of them, they are not and cannot replace them. I guess the Silver Sky comes closest but for that kind of money I would have a second hand CS Strat. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5878
    Every single Ibanez I’ve ever picked up has been exquisitely built and plays faultlessly. Much like a PRS. And my limited experience with the Vintage I’ve just got says their Strat could be just as solid and enjoyable as any Fender version you might get. 

So unless you play something that steals your heart, it sounds like you could be swapping two guitars for one that doesn’t give anything you don’t have already. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just to add, my budget would be 600 max which I’m guessing would be the combined amount I could get selling both guitars. 

• NikcNikc Frets: 629
    Get a custom 22 you'll love it and it will encourage you to play more - lets be honest you've got the horn for new guitar, life's way to short so crack on and put a smile on your face ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • sixwheeltyrrelsixwheeltyrrel Frets: 186
    edited September 2019
    A PRS will feel more compact than a strat derived one. It will likely mean an adjustment to the home base position when standing and possibly a more dramatic shift to the left when playing in the upper register. 

I wouldn't imagine it to be a problem but I would expect the difference to be noticeable and take a little time to adapt.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I bought a PRS SE Soapbar for less than half your budget.
    The neck is big and fat, nothing like a Strat but it's a fantastic little guitar. Nothing to fault it.
    I'd recommend trying one because the neck and P90s might not be to your liking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nikc said:
    Get a custom 22 you'll love it and it will encourage you to play more - lets be honest you've got the horn for new guitar, life's way to short so crack on and put a smile on your face ;)
    Bang to rights guvnor, but I’m a careful purchaser and like to review my options thoroughly 
  • I guess the right advice is go and try some!  If only I were a bit more patient 
  • @dazzajl you may be right. I’m in a right quandary here. I’ve got tot get somewhere I can play a couple/few side by side. 

• Can I just add, in my defence, the Vintage is sparkly blue which is really not my thing. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5878
    kaypeejay said:
    @dazzajl you may be right. I’m in a right quandary here. I’ve got tot get somewhere I can play a couple/few side by side. 

Buy the guitar you want but keep the two you have. Then let go of the one you enjoy the least. 

What could possibly go wrong? ;)
  • elkayelkay Frets: 78
    Just a note of caution, Fender strat necks come in a variety of shapes and sizes, ranging from skinny broom handles to hefty baseball bats, depending on the model. Indeed, they've been known to vary even with the same models. So, do try before you buy as the neck might not quite match what you had in mind. Having said that, your budget might just about squeeze in a used US standard strat. However, don't disregard the cheaper Mexican made ones, as these can be superb guitars as well, sometimes every bit as good as the US ones, particularly the Classic Player series (now replaced with the new Vintera series, which is only just outside your budget).
  • FezFez Frets: 539
    PRS necks also come in different styles but whatever you settle on play as many as you can.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8839
    kaypeejay said:
    I guess the right advice is go and try some!  If only I were a bit more patient 
    “It is better to journey hopefully than to arrive”. There’s an awful lot to be learned by taking this journey. It’s very likely that your views will change as you gain experience along the way. What you would buy this afternoon and what you’d buy after a happy six months visiting guitar shops, will be different. Don’t expect either to be a keeper. GAS is a lifelong journey.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • dazzajl said:
    Buy the guitar you want but keep the two you have. Then let go of the one you enjoy the least. 

What could possibly go wrong? ;)
    I intend to end up with only one and the missus says ‘what do you want that many guitars for’ with the emphasis on ‘you can only have one’. 

As I still have a spare box of hi fi amps in the lounge, it would be unwise to push it!
  • @Roland I intend to enjoy the journey as much as I can, but I am a bit of an introvert, so don’t enjoy playing in shop environments. I just get too embarrassed. Also, I would feel uncomfortable going into shops just to use the facilities, as it were, then to buy a guitar off the internet. Having said 
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    The PRS SE Customs balance well like Strats but the necks are thinner.

BTW split humbuckers aren't that great, if you want single coil sound get a single coil guitar.
  • Not specifically after single coil. I’m used to humbuckers so split coil could be a good compromise 
  • I’ve just attempted to buy a 2018 PRS SE Custom 24. The 2 that were available in the shop both had wiring problems. The faults were picked up when they were checking them over prior to dispatch. It really didn’t fill me with any confidence in the quality of the wiring.

So I changed my order to an American special strat that was in their second hand section. I’m very much used to strats as I’ve always gigged with one, they just seem to suit my playing style the best. So I’m putting the whole thing down to divine intervention. I was never meant to buy a PRS.
  • Get a used PRS S2 standard 22.