Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How long to sell Suhr Alt T Pro?

What's Hot
drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
edited September 2019 in Guitar
I have a Novo incoming next year, and will be moving my Alt T to fund it. I can always just PX with Coda but would rather sell privately and use the extra cash for other things. I know it's a piece of string question but does anyone have any idea of the likely lead time if I put it on at £1900?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• At 80% of brand new price? Gonna take a while... I'm watching a suhr modern pro (I have the feeling that this model is more popular than the Alt T) on another site, seller is likewise asking for 80%. It's been up since at least January...
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5101
    edited September 2019
    drpbier said:
    I have a Novo incoming next year, and will be moving my Alt T to fund it. I can always just PX with Coda but would rather sell privately and use the extra cash for other things. I know it's a piece of string question but does anyone have any idea of the likely lead time if I put it on at £1900?
    I’ve no idea about Suhrs personally but look at what that model has sold for on here or on eBay or elsewhere and that will tell you the ‘going’ rate. If you price accordingly it might sell within a couple of months if you’re lucky (Suhrs have a much smaller target market than say Fender or Gibson). If you price it below the going rate it might sell more quickly, if you price above it you might never sell it! Good luck.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3341
    edited September 2019
    Just look at the past ads here

Mine took a month towards the end of 2018
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6408
    edited September 2019
    Kebabkid said:
    Just look at the past ads here
    And Reverb.com
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Does it have the Thornbuckers ?
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2249
    Just put it on as a no reserve auction on ebay and it's guaranteed to sell for true market value.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • hyperbenhyperben Frets: 1426
    Fishboy7 said:
    Just put it on as a no reserve auction on ebay and it's guaranteed to sell for true market value.
    Mostly yes, but with more niche items with fewer potential buyers you’re relying on them seeing it before the auction ends. I’ve been stung before on these sorts of items buy using auctions. I find I have much better luck with sensibly priced buy it nows based on recently sold items so you know it’s priced correctly. Then just sit and wait for a buyer a bit like fishing.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9676
    edited September 2019
    My Alt T Pro is my number one guitar now; and I’ve had some top guitars. I still have my Masterbuilt Strat but the Alt T Is quite simply the most consistent versatile and inspiring guitar ive owned....

It somehow is vintage and modern at the same time, and very very rarely goes out of tune.

Thornbuckers are where the money is; very limited run/edition and the new models don’t have them (for a Thornbuckers,think Seth Lover pickups - can be clean but amazing breakup).

Seen then at Dealers for £2000-2100.

So, private £1650-£1900. 

• Post some pics. If it is ugly it will take more time. :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    MODS: Moved from classifieds

Feedback
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 730
    On eBay the Classics generally go for about £1400-1500. I wouldn't expect an ashtray bridged Telecaster-style to go for more than that.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 730
    edited September 2019
    hyperben said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    Mostly yes, but with more niche items with fewer potential buyers you’re relying on them seeing it before the auction ends. I’ve been stung before on these sorts of items buy using auctions. I find I have much better luck with sensibly priced buy it nows based on recently sold items so you know it’s priced correctly. Then just sit and wait for a buyer a bit like fishing. 
    This. Also, if a person isn't willing to ship that will make a low start no reserve absolute suicide. You can see people getting stung like that all the time on high end instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14684
    tFB Trader
    I find many private sellers expect quick sales, when in reality, unless it is a bargain, most sales can take time - time might be 2/3 weeks or 2/3 months or longer 

My gut feeling is £1900 is to close to that of a dealer and should be less for a private sale

Option 1 is to be patient, assuming sensible price
    Option 2 is to drop the price - But still no guarantee in this climate

Obviously the likes of Reverb is a far larger market place than say FB - but then fees to pay

If you find the formula to achieving a quick sale then let me know !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • On eBay the Classics generally go for about £1400-1500. I wouldn't expect an ashtray bridged Telecaster-style to go for more than that.
    Miles away, imho, IF it has the Thornbuckers and hence is LTD.
  • drpbierdrpbier Frets: 228
    Does it have the Thornbuckers ?
    Yes it does, and the hard case. Thanks for all the input - sounds like a price drop and a couple of months lead time are a better recipe
    Or put it up here ! ;)

(with pics)

Feedback
  • gringopiggringopig Frets: 2648
    edited July 2020
  • I think Suhr make great guitars... but I've been amazed by two things:

1.  How much they seem to depreciate. There are some major bargains to be had. I've bought immaculate Suhrs (Moderns and Standards) from dealers for around 50% to 55% of new price. That makes them a bargain in my books.

2. The number of second hand Suhr guitars I've seen in private sales on eBay etc... priced at much higher prices than some dealers ask. Needless to say, there are a number of Suhrs on eBay that seem to hang around for a very long time.
  • drpbier said:
    Does it have the Thornbuckers ?
    Yes it does, and the hard case. Thanks for all the input - sounds like a price drop and a couple of months lead time are a better recipe
    I traded mine for a very lovely guitar but yet still miss the Suhr.
    What colour is it?
  • I think Suhr make great guitars... but I've been amazed by two things:

1.  How much they seem to depreciate. There are some major bargains to be had. I've bought immaculate Suhrs (Moderns and Standards) from dealers for around 50% to 55% of new price. That makes them a bargain in my books.

Yes, this goes for other high-end brands as well, e.g. music man, PRS, Tom Anderson, etc. This (and the fact that I'm not rich) is why I'll never buy them new. It's easier to justify buying a new toy knowing that I'll be able to sell it for the same price if needed. Basically I can rent them for free. Popular models, like Fender strats, Gibson LPs depreciate less, 30-20%, but suhr and the likes indeed lose 50-40% of new price on the used market.