Budget USB interfaces

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2198
    edited September 2019
    TTBZ said:

edit2 - turns out I only get glitches and pops when I have the reaper FX window open to tweak settings. With it shut I get no glitches unless I’m running very low latency settings. Strange but it all seems to work, sound and feel great!

Have you got it sorted now?

On my old previous PC I got a bit more performance out of it when I set the Performance to "Adjust for best performance". In Windows 10 it's at: Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Performance > Settings
    Then select "Adjust for best performance"

The display might not look pretty but it might help with the pops and glitches.

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    The Stomp's drivers/low latency performance are not very good at all. I don't rate it as a USB interface at all, there is a noticable lag on my DAW when engaging transport controls and occasional drop outs. I use the stomp in USB mode when recording guitars and then go back to my Audient ID22 for everything else. Not sure what drivers the ID4 is on, but their update last year brought a nice improvement on latency. I use a 2013 laptop with an i7 and 8 gig of ram and can run a few amp sims and BFD3 at 9.9ms round trip, which is responsive enough for me. 

I had a Focusrite 2i4 (1st gen) before the audient and that was also fine for amp sims, they have just put out new drivers for the 1st gen interfaces, so performance may be even better. Not heard too much about the 3rd gen, but low latency was their selling pitch with the 2nd gen interfaces.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    TTBZ said:

edit2 - turns out I only get glitches and pops when I have the reaper FX window open to tweak settings. With it shut I get no glitches unless I’m running very low latency settings. Strange but it all seems to work, sound and feel great!

Have you got it sorted now?

On my old previous PC I got a bit more performance out of it when I set the Performance to "Adjust for best performance". In Windows 10 it's at: Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Performance > Settings
    Then select "Adjust for best performance"

The display might not look pretty but it might help with the pops and glitches.

Yeah all working now thanks :) I do always have that set to best performance to try and get every last bit of speed out of my aging laptop! Weird that having the GUI open to change the settings makes it all glitchy and weird.
  • Fretwired said:
    I have a couple of Steinberg interfaces - the UR22 MK2 is a solid unit which is designed by Yamaha and uses their mic pre amps. The drivers are rock solid, the audio quality great and in includes MIDI. You can get one for around £100 ...

Would second this comment. I have the UR22 and it is very nice piece of kit. Sound is clean and the whole thing is solidly built.