Boss ME v Zoom G3 Best Multi FX?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited May 2014
    @GrumpyRocker - it can but only patch changes ... I was looking for midi bpm synching between devices.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    pedals ? multifx ? pedals ? multifx ?  on my 3rd cycle at present (pedals this time) :\">
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 643

I've just picked up a Zoom MS70 - CDR in the classifieds and am very impressed. As has been said above, when it comes to modulation, delay & reverb effects, it has a lot more of these than the G3, including Strymon models and the Line6 Particle verb.. But it doesn't have amp modelling or dirt. Sounds really nice though.

If you're looking at something that models pedals, I'd highly recommend the Digitech RP500. It's got a lot of bases covered and models specific, named effects, including dirt. I also own a number of the actual pedals it models and when set up side by side, they sound very similar. A cool thing about the RP500 is that you can turn off amp/cab modelling globally with one button press and simply use it as an effects pedalboard. Going one further, you can set it up so that each of the 5 buttons (compared to 3 on the Zoom) switches an effect on or off, just like putting 5 pedals next to each other. Alternatively, you can run it in patch mode giving you instant access to 5 patches using multiple effects with one button press. Add in a really easy to use interface (knobs!), an expression pedal that can be assigned to just about anything, balanced xlr outs, auxillary in (for playing along to an Mp3), headphone socket for silent practising, solid metal construction, and it is a cracking bit of kit and not to pricey either. Love mine.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I'm still slightly on the fence with G3.

I don't need the amp modelling and the only dirt I use on it is the metal distortion.

I basically only want a one stop shop for delays and a bit of modulation.

I am tempted to return the G3 for the MS-70-CDR and pick up a Digitech metal distortion to go alongside it instead.

:-/

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903

The only thing that puts me off the MS-70-CDR is the tap, I wish they would bring out a Trex size version with a built in tap tempo.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    My Egnater 212 was unavailable to me and the only other giggable amp I have is a 15-year-old Johnson JT-50 modelling amp. It's a decent-sounding amp but I decided to investigate what my Zoom G3 would sound like with the amp modelling and plugging it into the power stage of the Johnson. I was shocked (SHOCKED, I tell you), about how good the G3's amp sounds are, particularly the Vox and the Bluesbreaker combo.

I'm seriously considering setting up some patches and using the G3 plus an external wah for our next gig which is in a pub with a TINY amount of space to set up in.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If you want versatility with regards to effect switching, then g3 is the way to go. Switch 1=delay1, switch 2=delay 2, switch 3=modulation, impossible with the ms70cdr. That's the major advantage of the g3 for me.
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    @vasselmeyer did you switch the output to effects loop in (or something similar) instead of staying on combo front?
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    What @Branshen said. Also, it doubles as a brilliant practice tool. And a USB interface. One of the handiest things I've bought!
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    edited May 2014
    @Branshen Yes, I changed the setting in the GLOBAL menu to "COMBO POWER AMP" and turned off the cab emulation in the amp models.
  • SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43

Zoom G5 - does it all. I'm selling one on ebay but I'd much rather sell it here (at a real discount) and forego the charges.

• SpikeedogSpikeedog Frets: 43
    Can't post the link but you'll find it - it's the best one on there.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 238
    Spikeedog said:

Zoom G5 - does it all. I'm selling one on ebay but I'd much rather sell it here (at a real discount) and forego the charges.

I think I'd rather look for a G3 thanks.

Good luck with your sale.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 319
    I have a G3X and love it. It's replaced a good few pedals for live use. Worth the price of admission alone though for the delays/modulations/reverbs along with the looper. It also sounds fantastic through a good set of headphones so is great for family friendly practice. Great piece of kit.