Cutting a simple pickguard

What's Hot
I have a 3 ply BWB blank on it's way and I am going to cut it for my Epi below.  So I already have a template (the white guard) and a straight edge to work with.  Could I cut this with a fine jigsaw blade and tidy it up with a file?

What would you recommend??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• barnstormbarnstorm Frets: 642
    If it was single ply I reckon you could do a decent job with hand tools, but I think you'll drive yourself potty trying to get a neat bevel all the way around to show off the BWB. No harm in having a bash on a scrap, though, before you go looking for the number of someone who makes custom guards.
  • barnstorm said:
    If it was single ply I reckon you could do a decent job with hand tools, but I think you'll drive yourself potty trying to get a neat bevel all the way around to show off the BWB. No harm in having a bash on a scrap, though, before you go looking for the number of someone who makes custom guards.
    Yes the bevel is going to be the challenging part  :#  There must be someone out there with a genius way to get a decent bevel using hand tools.... 

• MLten80MLten80 Frets: 162
    If you have a router; Make a mdf template of the pickguard. Use it to trim the pickguard once rough cut... then double sided tape it onto template & use a 45° bevel bearing guided bit to go round it

Hope that helps.  Done a few with that technique 
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Easiest and quickest way is to make a template from mdf and use that to route a new guard... only way to get a really neat job :(
  • Okay router it is then :+1: 

• So I did it. Not bad considering it was with a jigsaw and a file 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lysanderlysander Frets: 574
    That looks pretty clean !
  • Nice job!
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1872
    Not that it looks like it needs it but I've got good results scraping the edge off plastic with Stanley blades or single edge razor blades.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • Cheers guys. It still needs a wee bit more work. Think I might increase the angle to show off more of the white. Quite a straight forward but rewarding thing to do.