Best sounding 'thing' to record bass?

Subjective indeed, but what is a good tool to use to get bass sounding great on recordings? I have no preamp of any kind as I sold my Kemper. But I say thing because maybe I'll be better off with a HX Stomp rather than a preamp plugin of some kind. Or maybe I just need a darkglass pedal. What is everyone using?

Bear in mind, I'm a guitarist trying to record bass. So the simpler the better.
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Two-note le bass? All the interface and great tone, and a pretty decent speaker emulation. I replaced the chinese pre valve for a tung-sol equivalent which was a good shout. 
  • Good shout, that.

• Behringer BDI. Or Behringer GDI at a push.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Good shout, that.
    Have a look at a compressor pedal too. Although you can compress in post production. I picked up a mark bass compressore for £100 which superb.

A parametric EQ might be useful. The Le Bass can get some very naughty distortion, and lovely phat tones. No aux in though. 
  • I've used my HX Stomp straight into the desk for my band's two singles - sounds great IMO! (Possibly slightly biased...)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14510
    D.I. through a good limiter. You can always re-amp later. IMO, deliberate analogue tape saturation helps.

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10441
    I've always just DI'ed the bass then put a Sansamp plugin on it. Sometimes we reamped it back out the control room into an Ampeg SVT and mic'ed that but it was only a bit better than the Sansamp

Just bear in mind if you over compress it in the way in you can't undo it so I've always gone for a cleanish signal for most music .... distorted bass aside 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I should add, I used the Stomp with my own presets, but we used a split signal into the desk - one from the Stomp, one totally dry DI'd. Most of the sound is my Stomp, but the recording engineer used the Helix Native on the dry signal for some extra tweaking to the overall sound. Either way, it's all Helix one way or another. Have a listen if you like...

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3663
    I don't play so much bass these days (I started as a bass player).  When I do it's usually into the Kemper then record onto two tracks.  One with amp'd sound from the Kemper (really just to give me some 'feel' whilst I'm tracking) and a clean DI (taken from the Kemper pre-profile).  More often than not I'll end up just using the clean DI'd sound and passing that through an amp sim in the DAW.  If truth be told I the main reason for working with just the DI'd track is that these days I have to do so many edits (these are usually bass lines that I'm writing as I record) that it's just easier to work with one track.

Some years ago, pre-Kemper, I would use a Behringer GI100 DI box with 4x12 switch engaged. Of all the Behringer gear that I've owned, and regretted, over the years the GI100 is the only thing that I've kept.  It just seemed to work for me on bass.
  • Budget?

If it’s a passive bass a nice DI box like an RNDI (active basses are typically less picky as long as you’ve got enough headroom) and then Neural DSP Darkglass, Ampeg SVX 2, and the Ownhammer Ampeg pack. Helix Native plugin is also nice for bass too with lots of options.

If you want to buy a hardware pedal whichever Darkglass you like the sound of most would be my first suggestion.
  • Budget would be the cost of a darkglass or Two Notes pedal or less, I don't mind the spend.

Messing with the Darkglass plugin today which is cool but I'm not keen on distorted bass, I'm a bit more old school clean bass. But I may become a cropper if that's the sort of sound that gets lost in the mix. But I'm tending to set the plugins quite clean. 

Also tried the Plugin Alliance Ampeg plugins which sound great. 

None of which cut through the mix like my old Kemper profile, which was an Ampeg profile, from what I remember. Could be the track I'm working on and maybe I need to make more room for the bass...but I'm shit at this stuff and it's completely new to me.

None of the plugins I've tried feel as real as the Kemper, so maybe I need to try the Two Notes or a Helix Stomp. 

Unfortunately I've run out of days on the Parallax plugin which I thought sounded good a few months ago, shame I can't try it on this new track or against these plugins. And I don't have a chance to try helix native either.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    How do you record guitar? 
  • How do you record guitar? 
    Amp > Suhr Reactive Load > two notes Cab M > Daw

How do you record guitar? 
    Amp > Suhr Reactive Load > two notes Cab M > Daw

Does that not work for bass?
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3472
    edited October 2019
    I've not got a bass amp. And assume that the Laney Lionheart won't sound good with bass...though I've never tried it.

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    Tech21 Sansamp Classic? I'm about as far from being an expert as possible, but it works well for me and I've heard that it's used by pros in studios too.
  • You don’t have to run the DG pedals/plug-ins very distorted unless you want to. The Vintage sounds good for a bit of a warmth

• You don’t have to run the DG pedals/plug-ins very distorted unless you want to. The Vintage sounds good for a bit of a warmth
    Ok, so I didn't realise there was a Vintage mode on Darkglass...found it! That mode is right up my street! Exactly what I was looking for, thank you!

@guitarfishbay Next question. Is it pointless paying for the pedal (the Vintage Ultra) if I can get the plugin for £99? What's your experience of the actual pedals, do they bring a better sonic quality to the table that makes it worth it? I'm not opposed to buying a pedal, but if there isn't a massive difference between the pedal and plugin, I may not have to bother.

And last question. As this is just a preamp and speaker sim, am I missing out on something by not having a power amp of some kind (emulation or otherwise) in the mix? (This is why a pedal into the power amp sim on my Two Notes CAB M would be great) Or am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks.

I've not got a bass amp. And assume that the Laney Lionheart won't sound good with bass...though I've never tried it.

Not think it would be worth a try? 
  • I've not got a bass amp. And assume that the Laney Lionheart won't sound good with bass...though I've never tried it.

Not think it would be worth a try? 
    Ha, maybe, I was afraid of blowing things up. If it's safe then, yeah defo!