What's the best Marshall amp VST?

What's Hot
FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
edited October 2019 in Studio & Recording
What is your go-to VST for Marshall type sounds?

I've never heard of these guys before, but the guys on Gearslutz seem to be impressed.

If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    edited October 2019
    All you need is

https://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear

best amp sim out there tbh.

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 818
    Some good stuff included in Slate THU, models of Plexi by Slate in the rigplayer, and some of the JCM versions work really well too, I think they are dropping S-gear, but I found it a bit overwhelming anyway.
    The free ones from Lepou stand up too, most of the impact comes from the IR you use ( also included in THU).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    The Choptones profiles are a revelation for thu imo.  It went from fail to pretty much as good as Kemper once I discovered them.  The Vox ac30 and Marshall 1987x are awesome.
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    I recently discovered this website which mentions a few Amp SIM companies I wasn't aware of..

https://honestampsimreviews.com/category/reviews/amp-sims/

I just bookmarked it, plenty of reading there, but THU isnt on it, either standalone or Slate, which is a shame, I just got the e-mail from Slate that S-Gear is going, but to be honest, I wont miss it. All the Ignite and LePou stuff is on that list though, and I have had a lot of success with most of them, you dont have to spend money on an amp sim these days, but the Thu stuff in Slate is a great feature, I love em.
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited October 2019
    andy_k said:
    I just bookmarked it, plenty of reading there, but THU isnt on it, either standalone or Slate, which is a shame.
    The collection used to be known as Overloud TH-3 which was reviewed. He probably hasn't got around to the updated version.

BTW the Nembrini fella was behind the Brainworx amp sims. I like the cleans on the MRH810 plugin featured in the OP.
    Just went back through it, Overloud TH3 gets 5-5, and that is pre rigplayer, which I think is a big improvement, sort of makes up for the missing amps etc in the Slate version. I got the American classics add on, which are all just pre sets for the rig player ( as far as I can see) which covers all the ground I need, interface is a bit simplistic, but saving presets is easy and it works as a standalone outside a daw, so good for just messing with.

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KlingeKlinge Frets: 1
    Over at the honestampsimreviews site there is a Quick guide to VSTs for getting a Marshall tone. It adds a few options not mentioned here. 

In my view the Nembrini MRH810 takes the top spot for Marshall tones, with the Stealer amp from S-Gear and Mercuriall Spark coming in close behind. They’re all excellent amp sims so it might be up to personal preference what is your favourite. They all have demos so try them out and see what you like best. 

For full disclosure I’m part of the team behind the honestampsimreviews site. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    Came here to post just this.  Lovely sim.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    andy_k said:
    Some good stuff included in Slate THU, models of Plexi by Slate in the rigplayer, and some of the JCM versions work really well too, I think they are dropping S-gear, but I found it a bit overwhelming anyway.
    The free ones from Lepou stand up too, most of the impact comes from the IR you use ( also included in THU).
    Oh yes.

I had always used standalone amp sims (Atomic Amplifire) as I'd tried most of the PC based offerings and although a few were nice (S-Gear for cleans), nothing gave me a tone I liked as much as the Amplifire.

Then I heard about TH-U and wanted to try it just because I like to try them all in case one is better (the workflow of it being a VST always appealed to me; e.g. able to change fx levels and amp settings in the mixing stage rather than having to re-record the part).

When I found out it included a Kemper-esque profiler as well as the normal sims I was hesitantly excited but when I heard it used with the Choptones profiles I've been absolutely blown away since!

I haven't used my Atomic box since I got TH-U and haven't bothered trying any other VSTs, it's exactly what I've always wanted. Can't recommend it enough.

I still use Amplitube for bass, it would be great if there were rig libraries of the Ampeg classics and an Orange bass amp. I'd be using TH-U exclusively if that was the case.