Wudtone

What's Hot
andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
edited August 2013 in Making & Modding
At the request of TTony, Wudtone places it's wares herewith.

Wudtone Custom Guitars ( we build a very small quantity to order) . Here is the last one.

This was built for Chris Bird (music editor Total Guitar) it sounds like http://www.wudtone.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/00000chrisbirdburst.mp3 . You can read exactly what Chris thinks of it here http://www.wudtone.com/2013/08/19/case-study-wud2tone-custom/ . 

This guitar features Wudtone hardware, in particular the Wudtone Constant Pivot Tremolo bridge pat BG1314545.3 manufactured in the UK, using C75 H&T spring steel and with the flaw in LEO FENDER's original, designed out to provide tuning stability. We are pleased to see the trem get rave reviews across the world e.g. http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/diy-strat-forum/237289-callaham-vs-wudtone.html .  John Bolin (www.bolinguitars.com ) , whose clients include Billy Gibbons, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood, Steve Miller, Joe Walsh, will be using it for one of his clients guitars this autumn. More info about the Wudtone Constant Pivot Tremolo at http://www.wudtone.com/2012/03/22/wudtone-fpp-bridge-plate/ .  It is a good choice for any guitarist wanting the vintage vibe of an early Fender, but with improved tuning, functionality, resonance and tone. 

This guitar also features Wudtone finish, in use by a number of keen and very skilled guitar builders on this forum.  Our aim is simply to delight customers one at a time and so if you have any questions about guitars, our hardware or need any help with finishing , please get in touch via mail@wudtone.com . (this is the most reliable method of comms). kind regards

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I'm really not a fan of sunburst style finishes but that looks really excellent, I really enjoyed the audio sample as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Hey @andypwudtone, it is possible to use Wudtone finishes on a body with binding?
    If yes, how would you proceed?
  • hi there, yes it is very easy no masking needed. It won't attack. penetrate and it won't stain the binding in anyway. Be careful to avoid leaving any excess on the binding as you apply each coat ( wipe clean basically as you apply on the wood)  and then clean the binding with some fine steel wool in between each coat as recommended. You can also age it using the ageing top coats too. 
    kind regards

Thanks, Andy.
    So if I understand correctly the binding will then be protected by the top coats, correct?
  • That is right and slightly aged looking if you use the ageing top coat.
    kind regards

Thanks again, Andy, I appreciate it. :)
  • Hi Andy,

Do you happen to have any more photos of Black Onyx please? It looks pretty interesting...

• Hello there, yes I just received this from a company in Texas using Wudtone for coloured pickguards. Pretty awesome. Here is one done in Dark Onyx. It is  dye only ( unlike Black Magic Woman which also has pigment) v good for using on flamed maple and for translucent results . Awesome when used before another colour ( then sanded back ) for tiger striping flames etc . 
    chrs 
  • Thanks! That looks pretty cool indeed, might not suit what I'm looking to do as well as Black Magic Woman though if it's a dye, I just liked the greenish hints it has. :) 
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16990
    hi there, yes it is very easy no masking needed. It won't attack. penetrate and it won't stain the binding in anyway. Be careful to avoid leaving any excess on the binding as you apply each coat ( wipe clean basically as you apply on the wood)  and then clean the binding with some fine steel wool in between each coat as recommended. You can also age it using the ageing top coats too. 
    kind regards

I am just doing a 335 in emerald isles at the moment.  i left it on the binding and have just scraped back as i would normal lacquer.  its worked fine like that.  just done the first coat of ageing satin on top and the binding colour looks great... i will need to have some of this for ageing plastics
    WezV said:

I am just doing a 335 in emerald isles at the moment.  i left it on the binding and have just scraped back as i would normal lacquer.  its worked fine like that.  just done the first coat of ageing satin on top and the binding colour looks great... i will need to have some of this for ageing plastics
    Sounds good, Wez, I'd appreciate if you could post some pics when time permits. :)
  • funny you should say that. http://www.wudtone.com/forum/?topic=pickguard-aging-using-wudtone-dye look forward to seeing this 335
    edited October 2013
    "You must be logged in to see the attachment".  :-S
  • Its a community ,with members who give and take to help each other with content / tips. 
    In the end the love you take is equal to the love you make! 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5040
    Do you do the striped 'Van Halen" colours? :)
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypwudtoneandypwudtone Frets: 287
    edited October 2013
    Hi Rocker, we do do coloured stuff eg 

but if you really want a guitar that looks like eddie's you could use Carmine Gypsy http://www.wudtone.com/shop/?wpsc-product=finishing-kit-carmine-gypsy (example below)  and I will include some black and white insulation tape at no additional cost. You will be able to be creative and vary the stripes infinitely until your are delighted. How is that for a good deal. image

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Just got back in touch with my wudtone-d guitar for the first time in about 6 months ('holiday' guitar), the finish does seem to have carried on curing nicely. I'm not going to be hitting it with hammers any time soon, but definitely feels harder than it did after the first couple of months.
  • awesome, yes will keep curing for first year or so depending on temp etc. If you fancy it, try rubbing  with some plain photo copy / laser printer paper and it will help bring up the patina especially on the curves. 
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7217
    Here is my latest Wudtone build.

Depending on light it looks like this,,,

or this...

Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • Hiya Andy, hope you're about sometime soon!

Just a quick one.  You said (with ref to Lady Teal) that you can leave it 'orange peeled' on the body (so rubbed in as normal, then dabbing on a heavy coat and leaving to cure) as it will level.  

Will this work on the Black Magic Woman?  I'm assuming the first coat is dye only, then it's onto the pigment based stuff, which may work with that approach?

Cheers :)