Oil in paper caps

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    edited May 2014

This came up before on the old forum, Neil from Morgon swore there was a difference 

In terms of in or out the audio path it's possible for different cap's to affect  the tone whever  shunting to earth or in series with the audio but in reality I doubt if anyone could hear it

www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A tech replaced the stock 'fake bees' that came with my R9 and replaced them with some orange drops of different value (wiring and pick ups unchanged).
    Made a big difference to the way i play. Went from only using either neck or bridge pup with v & t between 7/10 to playing mostly in the middle posish, v & t set anywhere between 2 & 10.
    Dont take anyones word either way- give it a try. You might like it :)
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Danny1969 said:

This came up before on the old forum, Neil from Morgon swore there was a difference 

In terms of in or out the audio path it's possible for different cap's to affect  the tone whever  shunting to earth or in series with the audio but in reality I doubt if anyone could hear it

I agree with that, if it's connected to the signal chain then it's "in" the audio path.

A tech replaced the stock 'fake bees' that came with my R9 and replaced them with some orange drops of different value (wiring and pick ups unchanged).
    Made a big difference to the way i play. Went from only using either neck or bridge pup with v & t between 7/10 to playing mostly in the middle posish, v & t set anywhere between 2 & 10.
    Dont take anyones word either way- give it a try. You might like it :)
    A different value will certainly make a difference! That's what it's there for. Agree with @EdGrip on spragues for the reasons he gave. Wonder if the higher voltage capacitors are more consistent in value due to being physically larger (reducing the effect of manufacturing tolerances), different guitar places sell different size orange drops, seemingly arbitrarily. You tend to pay more for the higher voltage ones, so I think there may be a bit of desire to pay incrementally more to get a 'better' part.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    TheGuitarWeasel said:   In fairness I'm in the camp that says: if a component makes you feel better ... you will hear a difference because you will be unconsciously be playing better.
    Thanks for the wisdom there Ash, many people say I play better - when I am unconscious     :-S

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I like them because they look like fireworks.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    JookyChap said:

Hmm. I think you might need to check your wiring!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234

mart said:
    JookyChap said:

Hmm. I think you might need to check your wiring!
    I do regularly, my daughter keeps nicking the caps to make necklaces for her friends...

• NeilNeil Frets: 3690
    JookyChap said:

Definitely a LOL there. 
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    edited May 2014
    JookyChap said:

Will be fitting tantalum caps from now on

(Not sure a guitar signal could do that though, though tantalum is very sensitive to reverse voltage.)
    Edit: unintentionally did something similar to a TO92 a few weeks ago.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    ICBM;246664" said:
    They don't affect the tone. At all. Not even the tiniest bit.

If you set up a proper switching test, there's no difference between any cap type as long as the values are the same, at any setting of the tone control. There are also good theoretical reasons why they can't.

But, considering that (as long as you're not paying the sort of prices Gibson were charging) they don't cost much, they are a nice thing to use if you're upgrading a guitar or building one, and I would still use nice caps - not necessarily paper in oil, just ones that are 'appropriate' to the guitar… in the same way as I would use the right style of machinehead keys, knobs, even strap buttons - not because they actually change the sound.

It's also worth remembering that both Fender and Gibson used cheap ceramic caps in the 1960s, and those guitars are now both valuable and good-sounding.

(This applies to guitars - in amps, cap types definitely can and do affect the tone, although not in all locations.)
    Thats pretty much what Brian Eastwood told me.
  • ellangusellangus Frets: 250
    Orange drops is is then!

Thanks all
    Along with many others, I got Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer. Full details about his behaviour on this and other forums can be found on this thread. If you have been Scammed by J Collingridge 'Award Winning' Photographer, let us know and even if you haven't, putting a similar message in your own signature will help us warn others.
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4213
    I use orange drops as they look nice, not for any sonic reasons as the majority of guitarists I know, don't even use the tone control!
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I've got old 50's bumblebees in my Gibson replacing the tiny ceramic caps that were in there originally. I understand that they aren't any better sonically - they do the same job, send a selected frequency set to ground, but they look kewl (when i peer through the f-hole!!!).
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11712
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    monoamine said:
    hmm
    methinks many retailers are already on the "overpriced yet cheap components that make bugger all difference" bandwagon... must be a crazy wide profit margin in that racket!
    orange drops or other cheap, consistent caps will do it for me nowadays
    Sorry - wrong about RETAILERS doing that 
    If they are buying the PIO caps in then they are paying quite a lot for each cap - not just a few pennies more than the cheapo ones, so they are not profiteering. Maybe the manufacturers are, but unlikely the retailer is unless they have a secret source for what they sell.
    They will probably be making the same % markup no matter which they sell. 
    They may even get a bigger % on cheaper ceramic caps.

We keep the Orange Drop ones in as our base level and yes we do keep the BKP/Jensen ones as part of being a BKP full line stockist
    We do fit the Jensens a lot to our custom builds and we like them
    We also really like the Orange drops and fit them all the time too - mainly on repair work.
    Replacing caps is the price of a round of drinks and if it makes you feel good then it's money well spent, especially if that feel good factor makes you play better

I too was disappointed/disgusted at Gibson's fake bumblebees...simply because it is false representation

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Thing is you can say "given the same value" all caps will sound the same, but how often does that happen?

I'd swap an expensive oil/paper out for a cheap "Map's" ceramic if the value was closer to what I wanted. A "cheap ceramic" cap in a guitar should last a lifetime anyway.

I'd say it's more about how the control works than the "tone". How much treble it removes and, therefore, how far you need to turn the knob to remove a given amount of treble.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72955
    Thing is you can say "given the same value" all caps will sound the same, but how often does that happen?
    Very often, if you use tighter tolerance ones - 10% or better. You can't hear small differences in the value anyway.

When I did direct-switching testing, there was no audible difference between *any* of the .022uF caps I tried, even though quite a few weren't dead on the spec value. There is a reason why the tolerances are chosen the way they are.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2014
    ICBM said:
    Very often, if you use tighter tolerance ones - 10% or better. You can't hear small differences in the value anyway.

When I did direct-switching testing, there was no audible difference between *any* of the .022uF caps I tried, even though quite a few weren't dead on the spec value. There is a reason why the tolerances are chosen the way they are.
    I get you IC but all I mean is, if you two very tight tolerance caps of two different values but you find that you want something somewhere in the middle then the very wide 40% ceramic might get you there and IMHO be the "better" cap (for the job).

What do you mean "audible difference", what exactly where you testing for? As I said, IMO it's about how the control reacts. Very, very subtle.
    edited May 2014
    I get you IC but all I mean is, if you two very tight tolerance caps of two different values but you find that you want something somewhere in the middle then the very wide 40% ceramic might get you there and IMHO be the "better" cap (for the job).

What do you mean "audible difference", what exactly where you testing for? As I said, IMO it's about how the control reacts. Very, very subtle.
    Yes, certainly if you're comparing cap values at the outer 20% tolerance limits you will hear a difference. I can't remember for certain what all the ones I tested were, I think from memory within 10% at most, although they were not all identical. I tested several different types of all the different constructions I could find, about a dozen caps I think. In fact I was interested to see whether the slightly different values would be audible, as well as the type.

I tested them by choosing two at a time, and wiring them to a mini-switch in the back of the guitar, then comparing by switching on the fly while listening very closely to the amp speaker. I tested them at every numbered setting of the tone control from 10 to 0, and there was no detectable difference at any setting with any combination of caps. I also tested the volume control at all settings with the tone control on 10, 3 (where the fastest change occured) and 0, and again found no differences.

As a control I tested deliberately different values, .01uF and .047uF - only one of each, but there was a clear difference, *just* audible when the tone control was up full... you could hear the slightest change in top-end when you switched it while the note was actually sounding, although I think it would have been very difficult to identify positively with a longer time gap between the two sounds. Obviously it became more noticeable the further the control was turned down, and totally clear when rolled all the way down.

I don't see how the control can 'react' differently if there's no detectable difference at any intermediate setting. The exact position you set it at - since it's a pot, not a switch - is going to make more difference, since if the tone control has a good taper there is a clear difference between all of the numbered positions.

For what it's worth this was all about a whole afternoon's work, but it was worth it to me because it completely settled the question once and for all and removed any possible doubt I had - since I do think there are sometimes very subtle effects that can be heard even when 'theoretically' they shouldn't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited May 2014
    ICBM said:

Yes, certainly if you're comparing cap values at the outer 20% tolerance limits you will hear a difference. I can't remember for certain what all the ones I tested were, I think from memory within 10% at most, although they were not all identical. I tested several different types of all the different constructions I could find, about a dozen caps I think. In fact I was interested to see whether the slightly different values would be audible, as well as the type.

I tested them by choosing two at a time, and wiring them to a mini-switch in the back of the guitar, then comparing by switching on the fly while listening very closely to the amp speaker. I tested them at every numbered setting of the tone control from 10 to 0, and there was no detectable difference at any setting with any combination of caps. I also tested the volume control at all settings with the tone control on 10, 3 (where the fastest change occured) and 0, and again found no differences.

As a control I tested deliberately different values, .01uF and .047uF - only one of each, but there was a clear difference, *just* audible when the tone control was up full... you could hear the slightest change in top-end when you switched it while the note was actually sounding, although I think it would have been very difficult to identify positively with a longer time gap between the two sounds. Obviously it became more noticeable the further the control was turned down, and totally clear when rolled all the way down.

I don't see how the control can 'react' differently if there's no detectable difference at any intermediate setting. The exact position you set it at - since it's a pot, not a switch - is going to make more difference, since if the tone control has a good taper there is a clear difference between all of the numbered positions.

For what it's worth this was all about a whole afternoon's work, but it was worth it to me because it completely settled the question once and for all and removed any possible doubt I had - since I do think there are sometimes very subtle effects that can be heard even when 'theoretically' they shouldn't.
    I mean, you might want a subtle effect so moving the pot a fair bit only takes a little bit of treble away or a more drastic effect where a small movement of the pot changes the tone more obviously.
    I agree, caps of a very similar value are going to sound...very similar. When I experiment with caps I tend to experiment with ones of varying value. Even if they have the same "given" value, tight ones and loose ones. 

In guitar world tight tolerance isn't always what you want. It's more about getting the cap with the value that works/sounds best. IMHO.
    Ah, got you! You mean that if the value *is* slightly different - enough for that alone to be audible, even if only just - then the rate of change between different tone knob positions will be different.

Agreed :).

I also agree that tight tolerance isn't necessarily desirable - in fact, I often think that if something is desirable for hi-fi or 'proper' electronics, then almost by definition it's the opposite of what you want for guitar ;).