Thinking of doing some stripping, advice needed.

What's Hot
Hola, I recently won a small clone eBay - I was dead chuffed to discover it's an MN3007 version.

The previous owner has tolexed the underside half - I'm thinking of trying surgical spirit to clear that off.
The top half has been sprayed with a thin layer of matt black and grey primer underneath.

I don't mind if there's no decal beneath or if it's missing a fair bit, that's fine

Just not sure how would be best to go about removing the paint... atm I'm using a mid grain sandpaper.. any advice?
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3014
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader

Cellulose thinners will wipe off rattle-can paint in a jiffy. I wouldn't sand, unless going to re-paint.

The tolex, if the bottom will come off/away from delicate bits, heatgun/hairdryer, celly thinners for glue remnants, or "adhesive cleaner" for contact glue. I normally use thinners cos I have gallons of it, but the pukka cleaner may be better at it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    that is brilliant advice which I intend to follow!! many thanks - have a wisdom, would that I could give more :D
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3014
    tFB Trader
    :) No worries! Hope it turns out nice :)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Some thread titles offer so much more than they deliver..

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ;) sadly after carefully revealing what was beneath the car paint and primer it was ... (drum roll) ... bare metal.

ah well... this is going to sit next to my Route66 where all the writing has worn off ... so it's in good company :D
    edited May 2014
    Just a footnote - I dearly wish I'd had this stuff when a was removing black car paint from a candy apple red 62 RI tele!
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Don´t. Even Ye Olde Axe in Hackney road would have trouble hiring you.
  • frankus;251867" said:
    Just a footnote - I dearly wish I'd had this stuff when a was removing black car paint from a candy apple red 62 RI tele!
    :o was it the 62 reissue that came with a bigsby option? I played a jap 62 reissue in burst with bigsby and it's the best tele I've seen, heard or played. I'm sure it was a 62...

Naturally, wound up liking metal more and I regret that decision since. Pah!