SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Marshall EL84 20/20 1U power amp

digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
edited July 2014 in Amps £
It really grinds my gears to have to let this go, but it's up for sale through no fault of its own - in fact, it's the only Marshall amp that I've ever really liked. Unfortunately, it was only for use with the Eleven Rack (which I'm keeping for recording purposes), and the Eleven has a nasty gap between patches that I just can't live with in a live situation.

So...here we are: this is an extremely loud 20W per side valve power amp. When I say "extremely", I mean it - no sign of break-up at very loud band volumes in my use for the last few weeks (including a festival and two un-miked pub gigs). It's about 6kg so it's no danger to your back, and it's fan-cooled (intake at the front, exhaust at the back). Outputs on each side for 4, 8 and 16 ohms.

Oh, and the Deep switch. Damn, that thing's glorious. I actually can't imagine turning it off, quite frankly. Makes a 2x12" sound like a 4x12".

So...price. It owes me £320, so in the spirit of always losing money on delivery, I'll put it up here for £300 delivered to UK mainland (as defined by the courier people).

EDIT: I'm now up for trades involving a Bogner Ecstasy Red or Strymon Timeline...
<space for hire>
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Is this the gold one that they used to make?
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28097
    Jetfire said:
    Is this the gold one that they used to make?
    Yup. Here's a pic (not of mine):

<space for hire>
    Let's have a sneaky bump, then...
    <space for hire>
    Clearly that didn't work, so I'll call this one an optimistic bump...
    <space for hire>
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717

Hmmmmm.. I would like to try this out to see what its like compared to the Matrix Ive borrowed.. Are you constantly running it in stereo or can you run it in Mono?

Jetfire said:

Hmmmmm.. I would like to try this out to see what its like compared to the Matrix Ive borrowed.. Are you constantly running it in stereo or can you run it in Mono?

It does have a mono mode, but not bridged - ie one input, but still two speaker outputs. I use it with my 2x12", just one output into each speaker (it has 4, 8 and 16 ohm outputs).
    <space for hire>
  • lentolento Frets: 126
    So what if you only have one cab - you can't just run it with zero volume and full presence control but no physical connection on the unused channel ? I quote this because this is how you can run a Mesa stereo amp using one speaker cab.
    lento said:
    So what if you only have one cab - you can't just run it with zero volume and full presence control but no physical connection on the unused channel ? I quote this because this is how you can run a Mesa stereo amp using one speaker cab.
    You don't have separate volume controls for each side - just a single volume and a single presence control. These aren't monobloc amps.

I've heard of people using a specially-crafted speaker cable to combine the outputs into a single 40W, but I wouldn't trust that.

Besides, I use a single cab with it (as noted) - it has a stereo mode, so I just plug each side into that.
    <space for hire>
  • lentolento Frets: 126
    aha .....I was assuming it had ganged controls ....
    Time for a little boost...
    <space for hire>
    edited July 2014
    Go on, then. You've made me bump it (with a trade update up at the top).
    <space for hire>
    Sold! To the man with the cat-like guitars...
    <space for hire>