Solo of the Month (SotM) #54 - Chat

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Entry closes at midnight.
    It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @stratman3142 do you play guitar on the backing tracks or is it all midi?  
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2225
    edited November 2019
    @stratman3142 do you play guitar on the backing tracks or is it all midi?  

Sometimes I play guitar and bass, but this backing track is all midi. I try to create the backing track and its style using whatever shortcuts I can, so that I can do it very quickly. I cheat as much as possible to minimise the effort

Below is a bit of extra detail around your question.

I usually listen to a few tracks in the style I'm trying to create and steal ideas. Sometimes I use a chord generation VST such as ChordPulse or Scaler (Plugin Boutique).  For this one it was all manually created. I listened to a few country pop songs and created a chord progression and rhythm that's stolen from a mixture of them. 

I'll usually start with a drum sound that fits the style of the track, which usually involves trying loads of presets to find one that's close (which is later tweaked). The drums on this one are based on the SSD5 Deluxe Country kit 01 preset which was my quick way of creating a 'country' drum sound.

I sorted out the chords by strumming a real guitar, but then used Native Instruments Strummed Acoustic VSTi  to play the guitar (so it's not real guitar).

The bass is  IK Multimedia Modobass VSTi (again not real bass) using a tweaked version of the 'Leeland Softy' preset (because I associate Leland Sklar with country sounding bass - e.g. James Taylor).

The fiddle is from NI Kontakt 6.

For the next SotM I've been stealing ideas and sounds from a certain well known Pink Floyd track, but I've just changed the chords a bit

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great job, they always sound so impressive.  
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.