Jezz Woodroffe guitar bodies - anyone had any experience?

EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
edited May 2014 in Making & Modding
I've just been quoted £325 for a front-bound, front-carved Starcaster bass body by Jezz Woodroffe - I really want this guitar to happen, but I'm a bit nervous about shelling that kind of money to someone that I can't really find much info about, previous-customer wise. Someone told me that they received an unusably rough body from him a few years ago, when he was only charging £60 for a starcaster body, so the hope would be that he's come on leaps and bounds since then and changed his prices accordingly. 

I'm just really wanting someone to tell me this is a good idea :D

Alternatively, I'm happy to consider giving the job to any other luthiers that you might recommend? I just want an unfinished body - I've already got a neck, and I'm happy to do the painting myself.  @FelineGuitars - is this something that you might consider doing? 

(The colour-coded headstock is just an alternative that I'm toying with, I'm by no means decided - don't judge me!)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 310
    edited May 2014
    Think Ash @theguitarweasel got a body from him-think he got a bit stuck with the bridge/tail piece IIRC and put the project on hold.  He did have a link to their site on his website and possibly even supplied some pickups for them as well.
    Warmoth do Starcaster bodies, both finished and unfinished  as well- Here
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Thanks for the reply!
    Not sure Warmoth do Starcaster bass bodies... I'd like to get one of our home-grown luthiers to do it this time - only because I've shipped a body over from USACG before and I'm sure it would be more sensible to pay someone here to make a great body than pay all the shipping and customs costs. 
  • rprrpr Frets: 310
    If  you scroll midway near bottom of here, there's a black semi bass build- not a Starcaster, but not far off-( with Oil City filter-tron) could be worth inquiring its origins.
  • @jookychap has had a couple iirc.

I like the matching head stock :)
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    @rpr - good point, I think I just assumed that was one of Jezz's. I'll enquire.