Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers whose voices are - not what they used to be...

What's Hot

Comments

• Fish is another one who’s wrecked his voice sadly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about going the other way? I saw Bryan Adams recently and they're playing in standard tuning and the songs in the original key. He sounded wonderful and his mic technique is outstanding.
    Robert Smith at Glasto had it going on. Really looked after his pipes.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• That Paul Young clip is tragic

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    Dionne Warwick and Bryan Ferry
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 4127
    Liam Gallagher
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    David Lee Roth. Lost his vocals AND most of his frontman-ness. My favourite band in the whole world but i cant watch any footage of that last tour, because him.
  • dariusdarius Frets: 689
    Christ! Paul Young is basically Vic Reeves The Club Singer...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRwgNtv29ig

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    How about going the other way? I saw Bryan Adams recently and they're playing in standard tuning and the songs in the original key. He sounded wonderful and his mic technique is outstanding.
    A few old boys who still sound great:

Rik Emmett
    Klaus Meine
    Tommy Shaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYITWvBV-4
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    Philly_Q said:

Coverdale is horrendous now, even on record.

His one-time bandmate, Glenn Hughes, can still sing - I think - but I can't bear to listen to him nowadays (although unlike some, I liked him in Deep Purple).  Maybe it's the material more than the voice.

Don Dokken.  Voice is very bad, and he doesn't look healthy either.

Going back to the opening post, I saw Paul Young live a few years ago, his voice really is totally shot.

I think Hughes was better on his solo work than in DP, where you could hear the character of his voice rather than just the squeaky high notes. I had tickets to see him a couple of years ago, but I caught flu and didn't go.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3413
    Philly_Q said:
    How about going the other way? I saw Bryan Adams recently and they're playing in standard tuning and the songs in the original key. He sounded wonderful and his mic technique is outstanding.
    A few old boys who still sound great:

Rik Emmett
    Klaus Meine
    Tommy Shaw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASYITWvBV-4
    Yep. I saw Styx this year and Tommy Shaw is fabulous. I can also say the same of Jack Blades, who I saw with Nightranger about 2 years ago and Kelly Hansen from Foreigner.

• prowla said:
    Philly_Q said:

Coverdale is horrendous now, even on record.

His one-time bandmate, Glenn Hughes, can still sing - I think - but I can't bear to listen to him nowadays (although unlike some, I liked him in Deep Purple).  Maybe it's the material more than the voice.

Don Dokken.  Voice is very bad, and he doesn't look healthy either.

Going back to the opening post, I saw Paul Young live a few years ago, his voice really is totally shot.

I think Hughes was better on his solo work than in DP, where you could hear the character of his voice rather than just the squeaky high notes. I had tickets to see him a couple of years ago, but I caught flu and didn't go.
    I saw Hughes with his own band a few years ago and was quite blown away by how good his voice was. Whenever I've dipped into his recorded output the heavy rock by numbers approach hasn't grabbed me much ( although I have fond memories of Hughes Thrall from decades ago). But worth seeing as a live act. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • would be interesting to see how many of those who have maintained their voices have had professional vocal coaching .. 

Having seen Glenn Hughes over last few years live  in various lineups = he is truly outstanding ... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I saw Deep Purple at Excel a few years ago - the Car Show was on and they were running "Clarkson-friendly" gigs in the small arena next door after the show closed for the night. I hadn't seen them since they toured "Burn" with Coverdale and Hughes singing. 

Gillan sang the first three numbers really well. Then his voice completely disintegrated and he spent the rest of the gig trying to find places in the music where he could perform without it dragging everything down. Morse was a monster and played beautifully. 

So, I found myself chatting to my neighbour, who was singing with another well-known early '70s rock band (and still is), and was born in 1956. His voice is still excellent. "Fred", I said (not his real name). "How come Gillan can't sing any more and you can?". He smiled mischievously. "That's because he is a vocalist", he said, "whereas I am a singer". 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'd add that Joe Elliott of Def Leppard "manages" how he tackles a number of their back catalogue
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• There seems to be plenty of the older singer who mysteriously always get the crowd to help out with the chorus, holding the mic out to them.

• jaymenon said:
    PS. I really liked your 'Blackstar Unveils Revolutionary Marketing' blog  =)
    Ta. The irony being my main amp now is a HT5 MK2 - I should probably write them an apology. 

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Tony Bennett is incredible for someone over 90 !  Shows the benefits of proper technique
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    JMP220478 said:
    would be interesting to see how many of those who have maintained their voices have had professional vocal coaching .. 
    Tom Jones was mentioned at the top of the thread.  I don't really know very much about him other than, you know, famous singer, professional Welshman, long career, several big hits.... but when he sings on The Voice he is really, really good. 

Of course he was always famous for his voice but his singing style seemed quite mannered and OTT, in a James Brown sort of way.  Now he's a bit more restrained but really in control of his voice.  I've often wondered if he's quietly had some late-career vocal coaching.
  • Philly_Q said:
    JMP220478 said:
    would be interesting to see how many of those who have maintained their voices have had professional vocal coaching .. 
    Tom Jones was mentioned at the top of the thread.  I don't really know very much about him other than, you know, famous singer, professional Welshman, long career, several big hits.... but when he sings on The Voice he is really, really good. 

Of course he was always famous for his voice but his singing style seemed quite mannered and OTT, in a James Brown sort of way.  Now he's a bit more restrained but really in control of his voice.  I've often wondered if he's quietly had some late-career vocal coaching.
    I've heard him in recent years and he's been really good; different but good. Same with Planty.

I think Gillan always had problems and trashed his voice quite early on, Joe Elliott had a pretty poor voice to start with and has often said he can't reproduce the album vocals live, although as a band they pride themselves on decent harmonies.   
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Roger Waters was never a good singer. But he lip syncs live now, the cheating sod.