The Best Vocal Ranges

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I thought Roger Waters took the lower vocals and David Gilmour or Richard Wright took the higher.

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Don't get me wrong, I like his voice, but he can't really sing.

(Sometimes I sound a bit like him ...)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I too thought 'Roger Waters'???

I'm wondering if they included his total recorded output and some of that was high-pitched screams and shouts.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4071
    edited May 2014
    Some of those extremes of range just look wrong... but I wonder if I'm getting confused with where middle C is again (this is just one of those facts which I can never remember).

Let's take the example of:
    Roy Orbison - 3 octaves (E2 to E5)

What frets are those?  (I know where to find frets!)
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    close2u said:

I'm wondering if they included his total recorded output and some of that was high-pitched screams and shouts.
    Yes, this crossed my mind too. If that's the case, I think the researchers are being wilfully perverse.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7405
    Lixarto said:
    close2u said:

Yes, this crossed my mind too. If that's the case, I think the researchers are being wilfully perverse.
    I'm pretty sure that is why Mike Patton is so high, he makes some pretty weird ass noises.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    No Shirley Bassey? Had a quick look and apparently not that high either, think she'd come in below Karen O, who I really like, but maybe not the best way to compare singers.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16453
    I suppose range also doesn't mean being able to hit the notes between accurately.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Lixarto said:
    close2u said:

I'm pretty sure that is why Mike Patton is so high, he makes some pretty weird ass noises.
    Where are you putting the hyphen there?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    Doesn't mean a damn if they can't carry a tune, both tonally and emotionally
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17944
    tFB Trader
    It get's thrown around that a lot of singers have a six octave vocal range without a real consideration of what that means. 

Marah Carey has a bit over five and it's nuts how high she can sing. 

I think the Axl Rose claims are based on the crazy lows he hits in some of the G&R backing vocals 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11774
    tFB Trader
    Axl Rose has several ranges - almost like 3 different voices he utilises but they don't seem to run into each other , so I do question if his range should be counted as continuous.

Freddie Mercury's range got smaller later in his career because of nodes/nodules on is vocal chords, but he used his range really well and had a lot of emotion in his voice

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    How can anyone put Elvis below so much dross is unbelievable to me
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    James Labrie 2.5 octaves? That guy has 4 at least.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • thisisguitarthisisguitar Frets: 1073
    Bobby McFerrin can sing polyphonically…. (if you watch this whole clip you're in for a treat)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11453
    Marcie Levy (Shakespeare's Sister and Eric Clapton's late 70s band) has a huge range. The only problem was she insisted on using it on every bloody song.

I don't understand how Axl has got there, all I can hear are different versions of a cat being scalded.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24882
    scrumhalf;259856" said:
    Marcie Levy (Shakespeare's Sister and Eric Clapton's late 70s band) has a huge range. The only problem was she insisted on using it on every bloody song.
    She takes the lead vocal on 'Innocent Times' on EC's 'No Reason To Cry' album which is spectacularly over the top. There's a sort of 'okay, this might be my only chance to be in the spotlight' quality to it.

And then she became Marcella Detroit and did it again....
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Honestly some in the list really surprised me! I wouldn't have thought Maynard from Tool and Serj from System of a Down would really have that impressive a vocal range!!!

Where's Freddie Mercury and Justin Hawkins?? OR the chick from this band... There's some power in this voice:

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/