Twin Reverb - Changed speakers WTF!!!!

lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852

I picked this amp up last week, got rid of my other twin to replace it, I knew one of the speakers in this was frigged as it had a hole in it, replaced them with Jensen C12K's 100wt 8ohm...can't really say if the amp was doing this before as it was a hell of a racket with the broken speaker. I have uploaded a video to youtube to show the problem which is doing my head in, but have no idea what's causing it, could I have Funked up the installation of the speakers? or is there a Tube/Capacitor/Transformer issue.

Aside from the strange row it starts off sounding like a microphone in  gale force wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMc_JaPQwxA

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    That sounds like a blown power valve.

Have a look round the back while it's doing that, and see if you can see anything that looks odd. If not, try tapping on each one with your knuckle and see if it does it - although they're often so sensitive that even tapping another one can make the bad one make the noise.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I thought the 'hmmm' was very restrained.  If it were me it would have been 'f*ckin' thing!'.

Bad valve(s)?
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852
    ICBM said:
    That sounds like a blown power valve.

Have a look round the back while it's doing that, and see if you can see anything that looks odd. If not, try tapping on each one with your knuckle and see if it does it - although they're often so sensitive that even tapping another one can make the bad one make the noise.
    Power Valve!...you're talking to me now mate. I wouldn't know a power valve from a power-ranger.
    Richardj said:
    I thought the 'hmmm' was very restrained.  If it were me it would have been 'f*ckin' thing!'.

Bad valve(s)?
    hmmm!...was preceded by many an expletive, it's a strange one because it can play sweet for 20 minutes then this crap happens, it's intermittent and sometimes it's there from the off and other times it doesn't start playing up for 5-10 minutes!
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    lamf68 said:
    Richardj said:

Bad valve(s)?
    hmmm!...was preceded by many an expletive, it's a strange one because it can play sweet for 20 minutes then this crap happens, it's intermittent and sometimes it's there from the off and other times it doesn't start playing up for 5-10 minutes!
    have you checked everything is seated nice and tight? Cables, valves etc?

Is it only lower frequencies that trigger the noise?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I couldn't say if that's what triggers it mate, it comes and goes. When I was fannying around with it this morning I flicked to the neck pickup on the les paul and it started then, so maybe that's what started it off, but it happens when there's nothing plugged in, and when on the bridge pickup too. I was hoping it was a lead issue but it happens when nothings plugged in either.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Power valves: the four large glowy glass things in the back, left-hand side as you look at it from behind.

:)

When a power valves goes badly microphonic (a techy word for vibration-sensitive ;) ) it tends to make that sort of noise, which can be triggered either by bassy sounds or just by vibration in the room, and once it starts it can be self-sustaining because the speakers are in the same box.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Cheers again man. I've just dropped it off at a local(15 miles away) amp tech, Wynne Jenkins of Gowerton , dunno if anyone from Wales -Land has heard of him, anyway, seemed a nice fella sounded like he knew what he was talking about and he's assured me it'll either be fixed or Fu**ed by Saturday evening which is when I need it back. The complete irony of it all is I have just sold my Orange gear and My other twin leaving me amp-less for a gig on Sunday. Once again, I appreciate the input, I'll let you know how it pans out on Saturday evening, hopefully it's just the output Tubes as mentioned.

• dandldandl Frets: 36
    @lamf68 just to put your mind at ease. I've used Wynne tons of times and will do so in the future. He's done plenty of work on guitars and amps for me and has always done a first class job. Oh and he's a lovely bloke too!
    @dandl , yeah he was a lovely fella, He recently repaired a mates Artisan and he gave me his number, I'd have never known he existed otherwise. Kinda felt for him knowing he was gonna have to lug that beast of mine around his workshop though!
    Wynne, the man has saved my bacon. Dead Capacitor and two valves Frigged...cleaned it all up in there re-biased the power tubes all for the measly fee of £130.00....delighted aint the word. Thanks for your input lads. And if any of you in the South Wales area need an amp or guitar tech just give this fella a shout. he showed me half a dozen of his creations and I was blown away with all the weird switches he'd installed on them, but the shit those switches could do were incredible. Gonna have him potch around with a couple of mine when I finish spraying them. absolute Genius of a bloke, he's invented something for Gibson Recently too, some freaky deaky 5 way switch thing, or was it 8 way!!!!