Celestion PA Speakers in my combos

What's Hot
king_b1king_b1 Frets: 11
edited May 2014 in Amps

Right Gents/ladies

i have these 2 old celstion K12 200e (200W, 8ohm) speakers and was considering banging them in a couple of my combo amps: Fender HRDeluxe and a Carlsbro tc60 respectively. They are a fair age at around 20yrs but in excellent condition having had little use. Im assuming they wont be made in china and of a better quality. When i look the spec up, I cant really find anything but was wondering how different the frequency response is on PA speakers to guitar speakers and if Im going to be wasting my time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73363
    You're probably wasting your time, but the only way to really find out is to try it. Chances are they will sound dull and lifeless in a guitar amp because they are designed to produce a smooth, uncoloured low-frequency response - they're essentially meant to be the woofer in a multi-way "hi-fi" - or at least flat response - system. But it's possible they might just sound full and beefy, especially if not in the srt of proper tuned cabinet they were most likely intended for.

If you don't have a cabinet you can test them in, I would definitely try one in the amp which is least hassle to change the speaker on first, which from memory of those Carlsbros is probably that one. HRDs can be a bit of a pain because you have to take the chassis right out, and it tends to get snagged on the foil shielding in the ends of the cabinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • king_b1king_b1 Frets: 11
    thank you sir. its what i thought to be honest; regarding frequency response etc but still thought it worth getting a second opinion on here. I think i have a cab lying around so may try that as suggested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom