What makes strats (occasionally seem) that bit more difficult?

What's Hot
noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 892
I seem to go through phases with mine - sometimes it's the easiest guitar to play and dial in a good sound, and sometimes there's no option but to stick it back in the case for a few days. 

Whereas the tele doesn't seem to do that - never a problem to play or dial in. Same with the semi actually. 

I seem to go between preferring strat <---> everything else except strat!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I occasionally suffer the same. Maybe it's the extra tone options from three pickups and five way switching. I've got mid boost and TBX tone control as well to add to the confusion! However, when you can dial it in very little sounds better. IMHO.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SamgbSamgb Frets: 774
    I'm no Strat expert - I'm two weeks into my first one. I've only ever had humbucker fitted guitars SG, LP, a 335 type hollow body. But there does seem to be something about the tonal palette of the strat that's quite unforgiving (I don't know if that's quite the right word). I am enjoying it - I'm enjoying the different feel but I know where you're coming from here. I was noodling away last night using one of those little Vox Amplugs with my headphones on thinking 'this sounds fantastic' but two days ago I was off work in the house in my own and really cranked it and it sounded like shit to me. Maybe the more Stratty Guys can shed more light on this. They are very unforgiving of inexact playing especially when you run them clean. I don't know why that's different to a Tele but it just is.
    That was a long rambling answer! Apologies.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Single coils be different, and at volume the 5 switch positions have a big effect.  The 25.5" scale may also be playing with your head ! ;)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7346
    edited May 2014
    I love Strats however I am down to only two and one is a hard tail with rail pickups, the other an HSS layout. So neither is traditional really. Strats were my first love and always feel like home to me.

They need some fight in them really. Too low an action and they can suffer from not much sustain as there are three pickups pulling on those strings and its all evenly spaced magnetic pull just where you strum.

Also you really need to set the trems up correctly or they sound a bit dull and lifeless. The 'faux' reverb of the springs has a lot to answer for with Strats I find. Some like it, others do not of course.

Mids are also really important with them and dialling them in correctly on your amp.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3487
    They can be quite the paradox, comfiest guitar body in the world to play but the most difficult playing bastards at the same time.
    I learnt on a strat, try to keep away from them try "improved design" versions but always seem to go back to them.
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Agree with @stonevibe about having a bit of fight in them. You do need to 'play' them and they only give back what you put in. My Ibanez S is close to being the ultimate superstrat (ergonomic, huge range of tones, easy to play) but I still have to go back to my Fender for real 'at one with your guitar' type playing satisfaction.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited May 2014
    I consider myself a Strat player first and foremost, though I play a 335 and a PRS McCarty also.

My take on this is slightly different. I don't find Strats difficult at all. In fact when I first started playing humbucking guitars, I found them hard to control (more gain = fatter sound which was harder to play articulately, etc)

The key to getting the most out of a Strat is to work with its strengths - clarity/transparency. If you're not used to one, this will take time to get used to.

A little more gain, a bit less treble and more mids on the amp will help.

I believe a Strat allows more of the player's personality through than any other guitar.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28744
    I find my Strat is the easiest guitar to get what I want from. Compared to Gibsons and Teles it's just more refined and forgiving. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited May 2014
    I think the fact that it can be hard to get them to sustain is a lot to do with it. For clean, snappy, clucky sounds, or for ringing, chimey chord work you can't beat them.

For smooth, fast runs, they can be punishing. Using the neck pickup on its own is probably the best for that type of playing.
  • LewLew Frets: 1657
    I've tried and tried to get on with Strats but we just don't like each other. I'm at a loss when I pick one up and find no use for the 2 and 4 positions other than shutting the damn hiss off :-p It's a shame 'cause I love the Blackmore/Malmsteen tone. Maybe my tastes aren't refined enough. I like my guitars to feel sleazy and greasy.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    I consider myself a Strat player first and foremost, though I play a 335 and a PRS McCarty also.

My take on this is slightly different. I don't find Strats difficult at all. In fact when I first started playing humbucking guitars, I found them hard to control (more gain = fatter sound which was harder to play articulately, etc)

The key to getting the most out of a Strat is to work with its strengths - clarity/transparency. If you're not used to one, this will take time to get used to.

I believe a Strat allows more of the player's personality through than any other guitar.
    Amen, brother :-bd
    dilbert;248864" said:
    richardhomer said:

Amen, brother :-bd
    Strat Snobs! The Worst.

You people probably play fretless slap bass :(
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    Samgb;248914" said:
    Strat Snobs! The Worst.
    Do you struggle to play one too?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    richardhomer;248922" said:
    [quote="Samgb;248914"]Strat Snobs! The Worst.
    Do you struggle to play one too?
    [/quote]

Yep. I'm being bullied by my strat. The bitch.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I had a superb sounding 50's reissue MIJ Strat. It looked great too, Candy apple red finish, with a tinted maple neck. But playing it was a nightmare. The fingerboard radius was way too small (like playing Trigger's broom)! The screw in trem bar... Clanky and floppy and only stays in one position (which is usually a bit past where you want it). The neck was a bit on the thick side, with the gloss all up and over the frets. I know some people have difficulty with the position of the Volume knob too. And 21 frets.... WHY!

All of the abovementioned things, other manufacturers have found solutions for. but Fender seem to embrace them and hang in the past. For me to get a Fender I would enjoy playing I would have to go to the Deluxe series with the expense that would accompany that.

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618

The screw in trem bar... Clanky and floppy and only stays in one position (which is usually a bit past where you want it).

99p will get you the tiny little screw that goes down the hole and keeps the bar where you put it. Then you never remove the bar again, or you'll lose the screw!
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Lixarto said:

The screw in trem bar... Clanky and floppy and only stays in one position (which is usually a bit past where you want it).

99p will get you the tiny little screw that goes down the hole and keeps the bar where you put it. Then you never remove the bar again, or you'll lose the screw!
    Better off with the spring that should be in there.
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, sorry. Wrong word.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."