What makes strats (occasionally seem) that bit more difficult?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I've had cheap strats and expensive strats ... Vintage V6, Squire Affinity, Squire Classic Vibe, Fender Deluxe, Fender VG, Fender US Standard and my latest - the custom-built.
    I've sold them all.
    I want to love them.
    I can't get the sound I like from them.

I'm trying teles now.
    A G&L Asat Special been with me nearly a year.
    Now a Vintage t-style.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    That little bit of fight, combined with the purity of the pickups makes my playing slower, more dynamic and more considered. That's why I reach for mine the most.

Wailing away with humbuckers and lots of gain is great fun, it feels like cycling downhill after the Strats cycling into a headwind, but sometimes I have to stop myself because I sound totally cack doing it.

A Strat for me is at it's worse when you hear someone pile on the compressed gain and use it just like it was a humbucker equipped guitar. However, I'm not of the school of thought that says a Strats bridge pickup isn't any good for lead work, they can sound magical in the right setting, with the right sound.
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    Lixarto said:

The screw in trem bar... Clanky and floppy and only stays in one position (which is usually a bit past where you want it).

99p will get you the tiny little screw that goes down the hole and keeps the bar where you put it. Then you never remove the bar again, or you'll lose the screw!
    I use a grub screw tensionable push in bar. No screwing around, no clank and no spring to loose. I wouldn't go back.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9125
    It's the Strat neck profile that puts me off. Some of the modern flatter profiles are easier, but the vintage baseball bat just doesn't work for me.  As for the sound, I agree with @mellowson and @richardhomer, the sound is more expressive than most other guitars
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997

The screw in trem bar... Clanky and floppy and only stays in one position (which is usually a bit past where you want it). The neck was a bit on the thick side, with the gloss all up and over the frets. I know some peo

FIXED !!

:)

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/GG-012-WobblyWhammy.php
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3529
    Plumbers tape only lasts for a gig for me. I went the Callahan route.