Ed Sheeran on Later With Jools.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Bluesboy82Bluesboy82 Frets: 11
    Glad to read that I'm not on my own when it comes to mastering the use of the loop pedal.

Some great advice for us beginers. Fancy having to take tips from drummers!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512

Glad to read that I'm not on my own when it comes to mastering the use of the loop pedal.

Some great advice for us beginers. Fancy having to take tips from drummers!
    A lot of the tips are the same as any DJ would teach someone learning to beatmatch 2 records or make live loops... similar techniques. 
    Definitely a good thread as I'm really getting into this looper thing. Watching that Pigtronix video has just sent my GAS into the stratosphere, damn you @steamabacus ;-)
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    Kaki King does some top looping stuff too, remembered her cos she also did a pretty great version of I Think That She Knows, like Mr Mayer

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    With regard to the timing, I found that the greatest pitfall is overthinking it. If you think about it, your timing will be out. Don't think, just stomp, like you're tapping out the beat with your toe. 
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    Yankee fiddle player/guitarist/singer Andrew Bird is a bit of a ninja loopmaster. He's worth a youtube hit.

He's also a bit of a post-Sufjan not-quite-Rufus faux-hipster flange. I saw him play, inevitably, in a church. 
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1542
    EdGrip said:
    I saw Ed Sheeran do this in the Birdcage pub in Norwich a couple of years ago; he fucked it up and had to start again.
    I saw Thom Yorke do a looper track on stage at Glastonbury in 2010; he fucked it up and had to start again.
    I have seen KT Tunstall play Black Horse live, twice (a song she seems thoroughly tired of). On one out of those two occasions, she fucked it up and had to start again.

What I'm saying is, the loop pedal is a cruel master - don't beat yourself up because you fuck it up and have to start again. ^_^ 
    either that or your a jinx!! :D
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Saw this now on iplayer.

Does anyone know what looper he was using?  Looked like a massive thing with a big screen on it...

Never done any looping live but I really struggled at home on my own for ages.  Until I got chatting to a busker once who said that when he struggles he just taps the correct number of beats in using muted strings (quietly) for the first loop to make sure that the first loop is the correct length.  After trying this a couple times I've found it much easier.  What I tend to do for the first loop now is just plain on the beat single down strums and I make sure I tap my foot for EVERY beat and then when I get back to the first strum I move my tapping foot to tap the pedal instead of strumming.