Corvus Guitar Works - builds, paint, mods/servicing, Cambs

What's Hot

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2929
    tFB Trader
    Here it is. I took the paint off the p/g underside, hope to polish it back later and add the white centre stripe.

The pickup cavities are staying as-is. They're hidden by surrounds and the pickguard and they are part of it's history. Routing out a chunk of body and letting in new one, re-doing the cavities would make it **look** original but also be **less** original? I guess.
    Purely a personal thing but to me old guitars that had mods are every bit as interesting as all-originals, if not more so.

Good things: the original pickups and wiring are there. We have a modern trem to fit, they are a bit different to vintage but it'll look right enough. Should a vintage one come up it's a straightforward swap.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    Corvus said:
    It's going out on a mini-tour,  feedback is all positive so far but it's always good to find out what's good and less good both-

Still love this and so glad it’s getting out and seeing some use: I still hope I can get one of these someday. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Jay, hope all is well. I hoped to push on with these but other work comes in & pays bills, so it's sidelined for now. If/when we move I'll be going at it again.
    tFB Trader
    The side dots. There's deepish holes but someone had inset dark red and amber thin dots, surely to suit some previous paint but they were now invisible. And there was white paint or filler in & around them. Signs of previous digging.

I started stripping paint. There's the red, silver, plus a bright white, a thick ol' layer of creamy white, very thick grey primer, gold, and either black or very dark blue.
    The paint was seriously thick.

Did the neck first, going very carefully round the headstock to save the serial.
    The headstock face is well aged and has some blobs of unidentified matter.. possibly household enamel or the like. The outer face edges are a bit lost.
    It'll get Klusons but will need conversion bushes. Plugging and re-drilling isn't really on, I want to save as much of the headstock face as possible, plugs would show up and look odd.

So much paint on the body.. loads.. it took a while.

tFB Trader
    At some point a tailpiece was fitted and the trem screw holes filled. The added tailpiece bushing holes were in danger of breaking out the other side.
    I don't have a decent half inch plug cutter and generally they make undersize plugs. So -

Put a wood block in the vice (didn't have a honduran or cuban scrap deep enough so it's khaya/African mahogany). Chuck up the 15mm plug cutter and go, but not all the way through the block.
    Swap to a brad drill, buzz down into the plug's end. Glue in a dowel.
    Chop the "floor" off the wood block to free the plugs.
    Chuck a dowel up in the drill and take the diameter down. Chop the dowel end off. Now have a close-fit plug and it's swift to do.

The body holes aren't clean/sharp so I ran a countersunk in there to deliberately make a small 'moat' that fine filler can go in. Usually stops these sort of things showing in future.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12668
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Cheers for that - I'll pass it on to the owner, see if he fancies going for it. A fairly rare find I should think.
  • grappagreengrappagreen Frets: 1346
    Corvus said:
    Reference pics are hard to come by and with varying light and the cameras used, it's hard to get a clear idea of colour. I hope this is something close. Nitro pink with pearl over it - can't really show the pearly glow just now but better pics will come later

Yeah. Failure to spangle. I'll try again later.
    Haven't been around due to some 'life challenges' recently. I'm absolutely sure this will look awesome!

I do like an understated finish..

Si
    tFB Trader
    :)
    Glad you're back with us, catch up soon Si.
    edited March 2023 tFB Trader
    Marco's Strat pre-flatting and a final sheen short of full gloss, with dummy spare p/g for seeing the colour kind of thing- it's shooting for faded fiesta red -

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1028
    Corvus said:
    Marco's Strat pre-flatting and a final sheen short of full gloss, with dummy spare p/g for seeing the colour kind of thing- it's shooting for faded fiesta red -

Makes me wants to don some black glasses and do the Hank Marvin walk! Lovely Colour
    “Ken sent me.”
    tFB Trader
    Cheers Mike, Marco's shout on the colour there, I do like it.
  • EioPagoEioPago Frets: 26
    Corvus said:
    Cheers Mike, Marco's shout on the colour there, I do like it.
    Yes, it was a sort of faded fiesta red I always wanted to have and Bill (Corvus) nailed it 100% from the photos I sent him.
    I really love it.

Thanks Bill
    edited May 2023 tFB Trader
    Some more bits 'n pieces:

These two plus another came in for setups & minor mods, just about to headline London Desert Fest & Berlin Desert Fest on a European tour (Uncle Acid).

The DC is beaten up with a cracked heel and head, the MM is a 60s Epiphone one. Also going is a cheap Strat copy ... probably worth all of £60... It got some nice pickups put in and a few issues sorted

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Well hello there ...  :#

Not what you need 48 hrs before a tour, but it got fixed up and did it's job fine
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    As seen in the Guitars section; black walnut/maple, P90s, time machine. Repainted from an earlier build. Finished & claimed the same day by a visitor, gonna miss it though, it sounds & plays very well

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I'm hoping to get a build done or at least anything needing much machinery, before we move house and I lose workshops for a time. When we move I'll be limited to setups & mods and praps minor routing etc etc for a bit, till the new workshop gets sorted out.

I happened across some nice black limba and bought it there & then-

Love the endgrain - like a cloudy pencil sketch:

Jointed the halves with planes, there's a dry join in there

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    And the top, also more by accident than design - some Redwood, 3000 years I think (2-3000 anyway)-

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3282
    Corvus said:
    I'm hoping to get a build done or at least anything needing much machinery, before we move house and I lose workshops for a time. When we move I'll be limited to setups & mods and praps minor routing etc etc for a bit, till the new workshop gets sorted out...
    Not moving too far I hope! ;)
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27641
    Corvus said:
    Finished & claimed the same day by a visitor

So, if we drop by the workshop on random days, we might just see something coming off the bench and be able to grab it??

See you shortly

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.