Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS repairs thread. UPDATE- Sims to the rescue.

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonic said:
    jeztone2 said:
    Blue dyes that fade? My 2000 CU22 is still very very dark blue. 
    Black gold.

Texas Tea
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6415
    kaypeejay said:
    octatonic said:
    jeztone2 said:
    Black gold.

Texas Tea
    "This here's a story 'bout a man named Jeb ...."
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2475
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:
    The blue in the purple finishes was notorious for it. My ‘97 Custom 22 had turned completely pink by the time I bought it in 2001 - so much so that I assumed the colour was originally pink, until I took the rotary switch off and discovered that it was dark purple under the knob.

They had fixed the issue by 2002 since my purple Standard 22 didn’t fade at all - and from what you’re saying, probably earlier.

I wouldn't be so sure - the PRSGOW Facebook group regularly has posts from people with guitars finished in "Northern Lights" (blue/purple glow) that seem to almost routinely fade within a year, even when kept in the case. 
    Tim
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    timmypix said:
    ICBM said:
    jeztone2 said:
    The blue in the purple finishes was notorious for it. My ‘97 Custom 22 had turned completely pink by the time I bought it in 2001 - so much so that I assumed the colour was originally pink, until I took the rotary switch off and discovered that it was dark purple under the knob.

They had fixed the issue by 2002 since my purple Standard 22 didn’t fade at all - and from what you’re saying, probably earlier.

I wouldn't be so sure - the PRSGOW Facebook group regularly has posts from people with guitars finished in "Northern Lights" (blue/purple glow) that seem to almost routinely fade within a year, even when kept in the case. 
    I believe there is a warning on the PRS website that states the finish could be subject to fading if the guitar is overexposed to sunlight.

It does tend to be just some specific colour dyes used, blue being particularly prone to this and I don't think PRS is alone in this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just one colour fade example on a Private stock no less:
    https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/private-stock-is-fading.32484/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    Just one colour fade example on a Private stock no less:
    https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/private-stock-is-fading.32484/
    That was refinished FOC by PRS, even though their warranty stated it doesn't cover fading finishes.

• dcgdcg Frets: 238
    edited November 2019
    I've owned 6 PRS over the years (McCarty/SC245/4 DGTs...), and am generally super impressed with the build quality.  No surprises there, and I've never had any issues with any of them.  However, as this string makes clear, there is no operation in the UK or Europe that does what the US repair facility offers; I innocently asked about a neck swap for one guitar (yes, mad I know, but PRS had changed the spec on one guitar, and I was clear I preferred the later version - which I find to be true of all PRS spec changes; they're just better because they respond to all the R&D we as players do for the company).
    The response was that I couldn't get this done without sending the guitar to the US; cue all the problems previously listed.  In fact, you can't even fill in the form requesting a repair because of zip code nonsense.
    Fair enough though; business economics probably rule out a proper PRS centre operating in the UK/EU.  But when I asked for a simple set of replacement tuners, this was problematic.  There seems to be no real stock of anything, as you can see on the PRS UK website - and little commitment to backing up older models.  The guys there are affable, and try to help, but they're working in a very limited context.
    Compared to the armoury system that Leo Fender set up in the best American tradition (facilitating easy repairs in the field) producing set neck guitars creates its own limitations, and PRS need to compensate for this by having a diamond hard, jackhammer precise UK workshop to deal with anything any of us want or are daft enough to pay for.
    We're worth it.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    edited November 2019
    dcg said:
    I've owned 6 PRS over the years (McCarty/SC245/4 DGTs...), and am generally super impressed wit the build quality.  No surprises there, and I've never had any issues with any of them.  However, as this string makes clear, there is no operation in the UK or Europe that does what the US repair facility offers; I innocently asked about a neck swap for one guitar (yes, mad I know, but PRS had changed the spec on one guitar, and I was clear I preferred the later version - which I find to be true of all PRS spec changes; they're just better because they respond to all the R&D we as players do for the company).
    The response was that I couldn't get this done without sending the guitar to the US; cue all the problems previously listed.  In fact, you can't even fill in the form requesting a repair because of zip code nonsense.
    Fair enough though; business economics probably rule out a proper PRS centre operating in the UK/EU.  But when I asked for a simple set of replacement tuners, this was problematic.  There seems to be no real stock of anything, as you can see on the PRS UK website - and little commitment to backing up older models.  The guys there are affable, and try to help, but they're working in a very limited context.
    Compared to the armoury system that Leo Fender set up in the best American tradition (facilitating easy repairs in the field) producing set neck guitars creates its own limitations, and PRS need to compensate for this by having a diamond hard, jackhammer precise UK workshop to deal with anything any of us want or are daft enough to pay for.
    We're worth it.

Actually, when you speak to the guys in Cambridge, they tell you anything they haven't got, they can order.

And it took Fender until fairly recently to actually have any form of presence in the UK - and if you ever had to deal with Arbiter (their distributor for years) you'd know that they didn't exactly "look after" people and Selmer (1960s distributor) weren't exactly great either. Ditto Gibson and their various distributors - Rosetti were terrible. 

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12722
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33962
    Sims reckon they can fix my one, for £150 or so.

PRS wanted $1500 USD plus shipping plus USD Fish & Wildlife charges.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    I've never had a problem with PRS UK's service department and used them on a regular basis for many years - Be it PRS Europe as it is now or Headline Music when they handled the UK sales only

PRS Europe is owned by PRS - They service/sell throughout Europe now and now use the UK facility as their base

They don't actually refin in the UK, but I believe it has been looked at - However, on the few occasions that I have had to make a warranty claim on a finish defect then I've never had any issue

They generally have the appropriate spares in stock that I've required - On a few occasions I've had to wait for items to come from the USA - As for 'old spares' then it will depend on the item and if it is still been manufactured

They can handle most day to day PTC repair work within the UK facility
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dcgdcg Frets: 238
    impmann said:
    You're absolutely right; plenty of tuners there, but unfortunately nothing that replaces those on either an early model DGT (closed back, w/two asymmetrically offset screws) or a later version(open back, faux bone, w/two screws aligned symmetrically)...although someone may of course prove me wrong! 
    My point isn't that spares for PRS are completely unavailable (clearly probing PRS's US repair centre will produce some results), but that a major global manufacturer should, reasonably, have comprehensive stock in an important market for their guitars - even if you can order them in transatlantically.  And yes, Arbiter, Selmer, and Rosetti were grim, but we've moved on from that era - and getting parts for a Fender isn't difficult (for example).  So neither should it be for PRS, IMHO...
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2213
    octatonic said:

Seems like a very decent price.

Oooh you could get them to do led lighty-up birds while they're on! 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    andy1839 said:
    octatonic said:

Seems like a very decent price.

Oooh you could get them to do led lighty-up birds while they're on! 

Er... no. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2019
    Sims did a fantastic job fixing the witness line at less than 1/10th the price PRS wanted to fix it.

Before:

After:

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    That's a great job,can't see it at all. Did they do a new clear coat over the whole top?
    King85 said:
    That's a great job,can't see it at all. Did they do a new clear coat over the whole top?
    Nope, it was a spot repair, so they blended it over the existing finish.
    A full clear cost would have cost me a bit more than the £150 they charged me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • King85King85 Frets: 631
    Even more impressive then imo.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14762
    tFB Trader
    I don't know if they still do, but in the past I know PRS UK have utilised and/or recommended Sims for such work
  • I assume the original finish is nitro...
    "They suggested spraying some nitro over the area and buffing it up myself- it might fix the witness line, or it might not.
    You only see the issue from some angles. most of the time it isn't viewable under normal light."