NGD Washburn WDM18SENS

benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
Don't those model numbers just roll of the tongue? ;-) I've been after a parlour/baby acoustic for a long while. I was looking at the Martin LX1 and the Taylor baby last week and went to Salford PMT to try them both out. They didn't have the Taylor so I tried the Martin and initially wasn't struck. Nothing major just didn't give me the feeling. So scouted round and was struck by the gorgeous Jim Dandy Gretsch which at 150ish is quite frankly a bloody bargain but just had a bit of a cheap feeling (rightfully so tbf! And otherwise a perfectly bloody good guitar) was just about the give up when I saw the Washburn. Grabbed it down and was immediately happy with it. I'm a small dude but I normally love big, dreadnought dtyle guitars but the Washburn just felt nice straight off the bat. Sound wise it's a definitely a different vibe to a "normal" full size. Maybe a bit more mid-rangy? Very trebly but that much be new strings. I have pretty big hands so it can be a bit of a squash but not really an issue. Finish is flawless. You'd expect some issues at this price range but there really isn't anything at all. I love the matt finish. It comes with a fishman preamp which I haven't tried yet. Wanted to plug in in the shop but it was heaving and full of people cranking amps and widdly-diddling. Has an inbuilt tuner which again at this price I was surprised at! Tuning wise it holds pretty well. Slips a but but I think the strings are pretty new still. Overall I've hardly put it down since yesterday and that's what it's all about really isn't it. I had a guitar lesson with a student this afternoon and just being able to grab it, throw it straight in the car with zero hassle was brilliant! At £250 for a well put together, electro acoustic I really don't think you can go wrong at all. Great buy
How very rock and roll
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1397
    Nearly a week in and I can't put it down. Not a single complaint at all. Takes a bit of getting used to how it balances on the knee but that's not a complaint. I find it's easier to just cradle it like a uke? Can't wait to get it out to a gig.
    How very rock and roll
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    edited May 2014
    Interesting.....Im in the market for an acoustic around this price range so will have to check one out when I get to a shop. Sounds good from what you're saying though, definitely on my 'must try' list.
    Don't get me wrong compared to a "normal" bigger acoustic it's a different thing and for recording and possibly gigging I'd always prefer a full body but this is superb for throwing in the car and Lounging round the house with. I've yet to record with it but it will definately be gigged soon. At 250 there has to be some sort of week point so I'm assuming g the live sound won't be great. Obviously coz of it's diminutive size there's little to no bottom end so factor that into any decision making but seriously I'm just completely in love with this guitar.
    How very rock and roll
  • markslade07markslade07 Frets: 836
    That's cool, I only want something for around the house so not looking to spend loads of cash. My other options at the moment are one of the Naked series Faith ones, they look and play great but are a smidge more money
    I always had a bit of a dislike against any of the faith series. I don't even know why because by all accounts they are great guitars but I'm just not drawn to them at all so my brief for this guitar was kinda "anything but faith" Another great stupidly cheap option was the gretsch Jim dandy. Plays like it should be worth at least twice as much. I would've got one but decided to get the Washburn coz it has electrics already installed
    How very rock and roll