SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SORTED: A decent home amp for up to 800(ish)

What's Hot
melodmelod Frets: 136
edited November 2019 in Amps £
“Help an amp less person” (says the cardboard sign).

So, I have been driven a bit tired with all the options out there so wanted to see what’s out there with the following “specs”:

- Compact combo
- suitable for the now occasional home playing
- In London

I could make an exception price wise for a Friedman mini dirty Shirley. Cornell plexi 7 also considered.

I tried researching the Kemper route for an all rounder option but fell into the usual rabbit hole regarding speakers cabs etc so it’s back to a small combo for me.

Thank you all
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2099
    Might be better in the Amps section bud. ;-)

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • melodmelod Frets: 136
    spark240 said:
    Might be better in the Amps section bud. ;-)
    Oops! Thanks 
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    I may be selling my Abbott 5e3. It's got the Rob Robinette Mod, cheeky three way switch for different negative feedback circuitry, so allowing less breakup, more headroom and seriously less flub. 

It also has the secret weapon of 2x10" speakers. I'd want £650 plus delivery. I'm in Brighton so easily collectible from London! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I've got a magnificent 1x12 Mesa Maverick that I'm still flip flopping about selling. I think I'll move it on eventually but it sounds amazing. I'm using the Blackface / Tweed voice of my Tone King more but for a warm clean voice it's unbeatable. 

I have a withdrawn thread on on it you can read through if interested. 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1831
    Slightly over budget - Bogner Atma?
  • Over budget but how about a tone king falcon?
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    A (not so) orderly queue emerges of keen sellers trying to flog their amps :D 

For some context, what sort of sound are you after? The two amps you mentioned would suggest anything fender based is off the table? Is clean more important than distortion or vice versa? Any other features you want? Reverb? FX loop? More than one channel?
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    There is a Vyse 5E3 for sale somewhere in the board, that would be my first port of call. Celestion Blue would be a fab upgrade for it. 

Otherwise, something like a Lightly used Fender Mustang modelling amp (Vox Handbag etc) will get you nice tones at neighbour friendly volumes, for not too much money
    A (not so) orderly queue emerges of keen sellers trying to flog their amps :D 

For some context, what sort of sound are you after? The two amps you mentioned would suggest anything fender based is off the table? Is clean more important than distortion or vice versa? Any other features you want? Reverb? FX loop? More than one channel?
    No, a fender/American  flavoured amp is not off the table.

As for features: A master volume is nice. Reverb also very welcome. Channel switching not really something I am after.

Size, as mentioned a bit of an issue, but if I could  afford a matchless amp I would happily toss the coffee table out of the window :)
    TheMarlin said:
    There is a Vyse 5E3 for sale somewhere in the board, that would be my first port of call. Celestion Blue would be a fab upgrade for it. 

Otherwise, something like a Lightly used Fender Mustang modelling amp (Vox Handbag etc) will get you nice tones at neighbour friendly volumes, for not too much money
    Thought about the handbag. A bit unbearable to watch but may end up there or upgrade my studio monitors and rely on s-gear which sounds great on my good headphones.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8120
    edited November 2019
    If you have monitors, then maybe a Line 6 Amofi TT would do the job for you. You can pick up a tidy used one for well under £100 on eBay. Often as low as £50. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12334
    Boss Katana, and £600 for hookers and blow.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Boss Katana, and £600 for hookers and blow.
    I could only award wisdom only once  ... sorry
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6831
    melod said:
    No, a fender/American  flavoured amp is not off the table.

As for features: A master volume is nice. Reverb also very welcome. Channel switching not really something I am after.
    I can chuck in a small homemade (by @poopot) attenuator if you like. Makes it function at bedroom levels easily. 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8825
    tFB Trader
    @melod in that case @merlin ’s amp looks smashing for the price and a nice pedal platform too
  • TheMarlin said:

That'd be mine, Amersham nay but a short hop from London
    Succumbed  for a Cornell plexi 7. Used to have it’s bigger brother so full circle there.

A bit simple and won’t ever play it it too loud but does nice semi cleans with a brutish flavour. Maybe a Kemper in 1-2 years.