Looping - a different approach

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
edited May 2014 in FX
If you already own a tablet (or indeed a smartphone)  there are some inexpensive ways to dabble in looping. A may even give it a go.

This app is Loopy (which I think is iOS only) but others are available.

This chap makes it look easy:

Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Bluesboy82Bluesboy82 Frets: 11
    Its hard enough to get the timing right using a footswitch! never mind taping multiple parts of an iPad screen.

Like you said, he makes it look easy.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    It's actually far easier than it looks because the other pads sync to the first one (and you can preset the tempo and number of bars for the first one so only the start matters, not the end)

For subsequent pads you can 'prime' it to record nice and early but it only records once back to the 1. 

And you can have each pad at different numbers of bar lengths, but the start points stay synced (if you watch the vid you can see that in action better than I can explain it) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5105
    Why am I thinking about dancing elephants?  Great that they can dance at all without anyone watching noticing that some are out of step..... Why make something more difficult than it needs to be?  Buy a looper pedal and use your foot to start/stop it.  I think it is hard enough using the correct tools..........
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    The point is - it's easier! You set the bpm. It starts on the beat. It's costs a couple of quid. But whatever :D
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • KarlosKarlos Frets: 512
    It's great. I just downloaded it and it's fun. I mentioned I wanna get a looper pedal soon (in the other thread) so this is a super cheap way of getting into it. 
    I've been using with iMaschine on the iPhone to record beat loops onto Loopy on the iPad then noodling along with the guitar. The 'prime' function works great, it loops perfectly.
    Audiobus as well, brilliant.

It's also handy that it has midi control so you can use any Class Compliant midi controller and bind commands so that you don't have to tap with your fingers. 

This afternoons work on my end of year accounts has just gone out the window.

Fun stuff.
    (the artist formerly known as KarlosSantos)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    TimmyO said:
    This chap makes it look easy:
    There's a dood who made using the boss rc-2 look easy!! It's all lies!

Seriously though, I might investigate this to get my old ipod working as a looper if I can get the midi connection working ... thanks Tim :)

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?