70s AC30 trubba

What's Hot
knuckleberryfinnknuckleberryfinn Frets: 253
edited May 2014 in Amps
A friend has a Dallas Arbiter era AC30 which gradually died (smoke was involved) and is now blowing fuses immediately on start-up. I replaced all the filter caps and re-did the power amp tag board, which was charred. It is now frying rectifier diodes, so I assume there is a short between the secondary windings. If I am right, how easy/difficult would it be to rewind the transformer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Probably cheaper to replace it, although I'm not sure. I doubt originality matters with one of that era.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4244
    Some, places will reengineer the transformer for you, ie so it will look exactly the same with same formers etc, just rewired like a pickup.
    Carwood in Yeovil does it, but I am sure others will too. 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    There's a website called livinginthepast that does it iirc. But if it was me I'd spare the extra £30 or so and just get an equally functional if ugly replacement.
  • Right ho, I'll get him to buy a new one. I thought it might be an easy home-fix but obviously not.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    It should be cheaper than a normal AC30 transformer too, since it doesn't need a valve rectifier filament winding. The equivalent from the current AC30C series would be a candidate.

I would avoid trying Vox customer service for one though - useless.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom