Sealing poster paints on bare wood...

What's Hot
Not a guitar, but a shield at Warwick castle - the youngest painted it in the shoppe and it needs sealing...

can I use acryllic sealer like plastikote? the last thing I want is to damage the art work :)

advice, thankyou please :)
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Most art shops sell sealers for poster paint.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 3014
    tFB Trader

Normal rattle-can clear should be fine. Don't know about Plastikote but I'd use clear as sold by H*lfords & similar - standard 1k acrylic clear, just cos it's a known quantity to me. Stand the can in warm water for a while - gives a bit better spray pressure. 'Mist' the first coat so's not to flood it with solvent & lacquer - hold the can a bit away and kind of dust it on. After 5 mins put on a thinnish but 'wet' coat on. Another 10 mins or so and another wet coat, that should do it.
    Don't go mad with lots of coats or thick wet ones, 1k can crack & crazy-pave then.

Water-based paint, like nursery skool powder-in-water type stuff, will take clearcoats fine. Water-based acrylics (like warhammer and some hobby paints) do as well, but they can dissolve in solvent - the mist coat thing handles that. It's also sometimes called a "gripper" cos the first wet coat holds on better.

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    It's tricky as there are different types of poster paints. With most a light spray with an acrylic like Krylon should work OK though - I've used THIS on poster and water colours before and it has been fine. A lot of people use hairspray as it is basically the same stuff and a lot cheaper.

If you aren't bothered about the finish being hard, just waterproof, pure beeswax should work. Initially it will change the colour a little but as it dries it should go back to normal. You can normally get it as a 'Brushing Wax' in B&Q or wherever and it looks like hummus - wipe it on thinly, leave it 20 minutes then wipe it off again.

All of them though, do the usual try-on-a-bit-that-you-don't-care-about first thing.

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    thanks @Corvus :)
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    thanks chaps ... I'll investigate tonight or tomorrow.
  • I always used hairspray at school, assuming you're not after a thick finish anyway :)
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I always used hairspray at school
    man, times have changed since I went... :)