New bridge needed

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
edited May 2014 in Making & Modding
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to completely replace the bridge on my left hand mex strat as I am fed up with strings constantly breaking at the bridge. I have filed down the burs, applied lubricant etc and it is still happening. I'm sure if i keep trying I'll fix whatever the issue is, but I am at the point now where I think I should just buy a replacement.

Now the problem is being a left handed mexican strat the choice  is extremely limited. I can't seem to find any direct Fender replacements so was looking at Wilkinson, which costs £39.99. The thing is I'm not even sure if these will fit my Strat.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/wilkinson.html

Could any of you be so kind as to point me in other directions, or perhaps even make any recommendations? Obviously I'd like to spend as little as possible.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    You see the six screws that act as pivot points ?
    As long as you get one of the Wilkinson Trems which have one round screw hole on and five slightly oblong shaped holes you should be OK.
    The point of having the five semi slotted holes is to allow for the trem to fit bodies with different screw spacings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2357
    tFB Trader

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

• gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 527
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    As long as you get one of the Wilkinson Trems which have one round screw hole on and five slightly oblong shaped holes you should be OK.
    The point of having the five semi slotted holes is to allow for the trem to fit bodies with different screw spacings.
    There will still be a little bit of tinkering involved as you will need to plug and redrill the E string screw holes.
    Pics in this thread
  • Either change saddles, or if it's the bridge itself, get a wudtone bridge. Your guitar will thank you.

Callaham saddles are excellent, or there are other modern block shaped ones, depending on your fancy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    DrBob said:
    There will still be a little bit of tinkering involved as you will need to plug and redrill the E string screw holes.
    Pics in this thread
    Ah, that further muddies the water then as I did build a Bitsa with a MIM body and the WV6 SB trem went straight on it as was....

Maybe it wasn't a Std..
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    I fitted one of those wilkinsons to a mex standard a few years ago and everything lined up just fine. Weird.
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions so far guys, sometimes I really wish I played righty.
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Trying to find something suitable on Amazon as I have a gift voucher but not having much luck.
    tFB Trader
    DrBob said:
    Ah, that further muddies the water then as I did build a Bitsa with a MIM body and the WV6 SB trem went straight on it as was....

Maybe it wasn't a Std..
    The Std spacing is 52.5mm string and screw and the Wilkinsons are all 56mm screw and 54mm string - why I have no idea! It is not that easy to find a drop in replacement for the Std due to the narrow spacing.
    To the OP - assuming the strings keep breaking at the saddle it has to be worth trying a different set before switching the entire trem.
    tFB Trader
    Adam_MD said:
    I fitted one of those wilkinsons to a mex standard a few years ago and everything lined up just fine. Weird.
    Could Wilkinson have changed the mount screw spacing?
  • I've fitted Wilkinson replacement bridges to a few Tele copies at the shop I work in over the years, they usually go in without a problem. They are designed as drop in replacements.
    Some more about me, my music and my record label: https://www.linkedin.com/pub/luke-crook/22/18/537