Stripping Paint from Fender Telecaster

What's Hot

Could someone give me some advice on the best way to remove paint from my Telecaster please?

It's a bog standard American Special Tele in Olympic White. It's actually in pristine condition however I always wanted a natural finish and I don't want to replace the body and get into issue with the neck - as a guitar it plays really nicely, it's just the right weight for me (Although I have no idea how heavy it actually is but it feels just right) and I really have gelled with this one so refinishing it and making it exactly as I want is quite important to me.

I have been told that using Nitromors is a bad idea as it can get into the wood and react with any new finish.

I was thinking of using a wudtone oil finish once it's back to bare wood.

Should I just sand it all off gently or can I use a chemical stripper?

Any help would be very much appreciated.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    It'll be poly if it's an American special. I don't think chemical strippers will do much. Either a sander or a heat gun then loads of sanding.

Also might not be the nicest bit of wood if it was a solid finish.
  • GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited May 2014
    Be aware that the wood under the paint may not be very pretty. 

Chances are it isn't suitable for a natural finish.

To strip it a heat gun is your best bet, followed by careful sanding to remove any final traces of sealer.

Nitromors won't touch the finish since it was emasculated by health and safety legislation.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Adam_MD said:
    It'll be poly if it's an American special. I don't think chemical strippers will do much. Either a sander or a heat gun then loads of sanding.

Also might not be the nicest bit of wood if it was a solid finish.

Be aware that the wood under the paint may not be very pretty. 

Chances are it isn't suitable for a natural finish.

To strip it a heat gun is your best bet, followed by careful sanding to remove any final traces of sealer.

Nitromors won't touch the finish since it was emasculated by health and safety legislation.

Thank you both.

Ok so that's the approach sorted. As for the wood underneath, I have to admit I have worried about that but it's clearly a 3 piece body, you can see the lines even through the white paint.

Is it likely to be really ugly underneath? I've never done anything like this so yes, part of me is a bit nervous about doing it and then regretting it.

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited May 2014
    You won't know what the wood looks like until its too late. 

The best looking stuff is reserved for sunbursts and other transparent finishes.

Also my understanding is that Wudtone works best on virgin wood. If there is any trace of the old finish, it won't take evenly.

Bollocks.

So it's looking like a bad idea. It's in almost as new condition and I don't want to wreck it.

I guess it's going to stay white then.

Just buy a guitarbuild body and wudtone it the colour you want. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. If you don't like it flog and you've still got the original to put it back to stock if you want.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    Just buy a guitarbuild body and wudtone it the colour you want. You can pick them up pretty cheap on ebay. If you don't like it flog and you've still got the original to put it back to stock if you want.

Thanks.

It's either replace the body or sell / trade the guitar.

I'm really not sure which way to go. I've got a Wilko Johnson Tele on it's way soon so i don't know whether to sell this or not.

I drive a lorry 5 days a week so i get plenty of time to think !

Thanks for the replies and the helpful advice.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    White is probably my favourite colour for a Strat..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    edited May 2014
    Alnico said:

Could someone give me some advice on the best way to remove paint from my Telecaster please?

Fire.

Then if it goes wrong or the wood underneath isn't very pretty, you can sell it on Ebay as a professional relic job for more than the guitar is worth, and buy one in natural.

:)

Seriously, if you like the guitar as it is now, learn to love the colour. If you refinish it you will actually alter the weight slightly, and it may change the feel or tone of it in unpredictable ways too. I made that mistake once...

Or if you prefer your Wilko Tele, sell it - but wait until you know you prefer the new one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited May 2014
    ICBM said:
    Alnico said:

Fire.

Then if it goes wrong or the wood underneath isn't very pretty, you can sell it on Ebay as a professional relic job for more than the guitar is worth, and buy one in natural.

Seriously, if you like the guitar as it is now, learn to love the colour. If you refinish it you will actually alter the weight slightly, and it may change the feel or tone of it in unpredictable ways too. I made that mistake once...

Or if you prefer your Wilko Tele, sell it - but wait until you know you prefer the new one.

Big LOL at "Fire" !

I've sorted it now. I took it to see my friend at the local music shop yesterday afternoon and traded it in on a Blonde Classic Player Baja Tele - the one I have wanted ever since I was forced to sell my old one a few years ago. He did me a brilliant deal and I walked away with a guitar I am 100% happy with. Couldn't stop smiling every time I looked at it last night. There was nothing wrong with the American Special, it was and still is a great guitar but it just wasn't exactly what I always wanted - something about it always left me feeling a little underwhelmed. This new Baja however is exactly what I want and always has been. It's not a natural finish but it's closer than Olympic white was and the neck is way more my kind of thing. It even comes with Brass Saddles so I can get those.........."Nasty Upper-Mid Overtones" !!! 

I Couldn't be happier.

As soon as I get a little time at home I will photograph it and post a NGD thread.

Thanks for the input to my original question.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Alnico said:
    This new Baja however is exactly what I want and always has been. It's not a natural finish but it's closer than Olympic white was and the neck is way more my kind of thing. It even comes with Brass Saddles so I can get those.........."Nasty Upper-Mid Overtones" !!!
    lol

Excellent outcome.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

But what about the time honoured tradition of buying a guitar which isn't exactly what you want. Modding it into a completely unrecognisable state in the search for what you do want, then practically giving it away taking a massive hit on what it was worth originally. Finally buying the guitar you wanted all along.

Amateur ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Adam_MD said:
    But what about the time honoured tradition of buying a guitar which isn't exactly what you want. Modding it into a completely unrecognisable state in the search for what you do want, then practically giving it away taking a massive hit on what it was worth originally. Finally buying the guitar you wanted all along.

Amateur ;)

I didn't realise we had met before, you seem to know me so well !

Yes I used to do that way too much but (touch wood) not any more.

From now on (I swear by Almighty Clapton) I will only buy what I want and want to keep.

STOP SNIGGERING AT THE BACK !!!