Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Gibson fretboard issue

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10915
    You can usually get a nice bit of money back for cosmetic defects like that. It's absolutely bonkers that Gibson do this though. One of my Gibsons has razor marks on the neck etc but it was heavily discounted enough that I can live with it, plus it sounds amazing. My other Gibson came pre-smashed and repaired so not a lot to worry about there
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    Surprised and disappointed to see something like this from a major manufacturer (but perhaps I shouldn't be).

I often think the smaller independent makers seem to take these sort of issues more seriously than the big guys these days. For example, I bought a Burns Marvin from Oasis Music back in the summer. It was supposed to be a bright white colour, but the paint mix was wrong so it was a much darker,creamy shade of white. Because of this error though, Burns classed it as "B" grade and it was for sale with  £400 off the price  =)! To be honest, I actually preferred the colour to the correct shade.

Cliff
  • Teflon said:
    Surprised and disappointed to see something like this from a major manufacturer (but perhaps I shouldn't be).

I often think the smaller independent makers seem to take these sort of issues more seriously than the big guys these days. For example, I bought a Burns Marvin from Oasis Music back in the summer. It was supposed to be a bright white colour, but the paint mix was wrong so it was a much darker,creamy shade of white. Because of this error though, Burns classed it as "B" grade and it was for sale with  £400 off the price  =)! To be honest, I actually preferred the colour to the correct shade.

Cliff
    It’s not surprising really given the volume of guitars a major manufacturer makes in a year, according to tinternet or Paul on the Les Paul forum Gibson USA can make 700 units a day.  So these guitars aren’t made on the thighs of virgins as we assume, just banged out the door to make room so the next day’s production can fit in the warehouse. It’s the bean counters who decide how good the finished product needs to be to against customers expectations.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I couldn't decide but the replies have persuaded me.

If you love the guitar, keep it, with or without some money off, and then ask your guitar tech to hide it for you (sanding or otherwise) next time you need to visit him.

• TeflonTeflon Frets: 229
    It’s not surprising really given the volume of guitars a major manufacturer makes in a year, according to tinternet or Paul on the Les Paul forum Gibson USA can make 700 units a day.  So these guitars aren’t made on the thighs of virgins as we assume, just banged out the door to make room so the next day’s production can fit in the warehouse. It’s the bean counters who decide how good the finished product needs to be to against customers expectations.
    You're right, of course. A shame though. I remember many years back (late '70's!) yearning to own a Fender Strat. When I finally got the funds together I really believed I was buying the best of the best - the equivalent of a modern day Master build if you like.  It was (is) a very nice guitar, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't hand built in quite the way I believed at the time.

I suppose that's the whole point of branding and marketing. 700 units a day is an awful lot.

Cliff
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8573
    Yeah, that would annoy me, it’s in a place that easily catches the eye.

What do we think to this - this is the trem cavity on my Custom Shop Strat I bought last year  - even CNC’s have a bad day it seems (ignore the chipped screw hole, that’s my doing). Not bothered as it’s otherwise a great guitar but it does make you wonder when you are supposedly buying the best Fender can do and they send this to paint and then happily stick a plate over it.

https://i.imgur.com/f8yoma9.jpg