Elevating filaments from bias tap

knuckleberryfinnknuckleberryfinn Frets: 253
edited May 2014 in Amps
Sorry people, another question as I try to build up this bastardized Bassman.  I have read on the trusty internet that elevating the filament supply by referencing to between 30 and 70VDC helps reduce hum.  So I am wondering if I can split the AC bias supply into two, with two diodes facing different ways, producing +50 and -50.  Well, I know I can.  But what I want to know is do I need a filter cap in there to ground too?  Or can I just go from the +50VDC to the wiper of my humdinger?  Hmmm, the wiper of my humdinger - sounds a bit sexy.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MistergMisterg Frets: 365
    You'd need a smoothing capacitor. Personally, I'd generate the elevation voltage using a potential divider from one of the HT supply (B+) nodes (also with a small smoothing capacitor).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    I would wait and see whether it hums first, personally. Don't make things more complicated than you need to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein