Danelectro 59 Questions

What's Hot
Howdee. I recently picked up a single pickup Dano U1, late 90s I think, and surprisingly for what is considered a crap guiter, it feels great, is nice and light, and the neck is superb.
I did have a Dano Convertible this year too, which also had a lovely neck, so I'm going to look out for a used Dano 59 next year.
You don't seem to see as many used now for the same price they were going for 4 or 5 years ago.
In any case, I see there are models with a wraparound bridge and a model with a pau ferro bridge as well. While I think the wraparound bridge looks odd on an already odd looking guitar, it could possibly be better than the wooden bridge?
You do see some older models with all chrome bridges as well.
Another question. You know how you install the 4 way pickup switch on telecasters. Is there a similar mod that could be done to the Dano, so you'd have neck, pickup, both and AN OTHER setting?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72993
    Personally I think the wraparound bridge kills some of the character of them. I think the best is the 'intermediate' version with the three-point metal baseplate but individually-adjustable metal saddles instead of the wooden strip, like this...

The stock both-pickups setting is the two pickups in series, so you could have parallel as the 'other' setting, but you would probably need a rotary switch to do it - or you could fit a second switch and use two DPDTs, or keep the stock switch and add a DPDT to give out-of-phase...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19325
    I really like my U2 Reissue with the intermediate bridge as @ICBM mentions.
    They used to be really very affordable a few years back, but they seem to have (been) appreciated now.

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1418
    edited December 2019
    @icbm and @Kittyfrisk That’s the bridge I’ve seen on some used models which I think would be the best option. The U1 I picked up recently cost me around £220 / €250 in Spain which still seems to be a lot more than what they used to go for.

I also came across some bridge replacements as well, which would definitely work.

https://www.jeffsennguitars.com/drb2

https://www.thomann.de/ie/allparts_sb_5800_010_danelectro_bridge.htm?glp=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAovfvBRCRARIsADEmbRJdivK6-pBzIKGfeZFN-eKa0xubu2txUTxK3Hb4UpVqNJTry3GnjysaAofMEALw_wcB
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2431
    I have read that the modern 'lipstick' pickups are actually nothing like the originals, is there any truth in that?
    Stuckfast said:
    I have read that the modern 'lipstick' pickups are actually nothing like the originals, is there any truth in that?
    Havent the foggiest, we would need a pickup expert to tell us  ;) 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4996
    ICBM said:
    Personally I think the wraparound bridge kills some of the character of them. I think the best is the 'intermediate' version with the three-point metal baseplate but individually-adjustable metal saddles instead of the wooden strip, like this...

The stock both-pickups setting is the two pickups in series, so you could have parallel as the 'other' setting, but you would probably need a rotary switch to do it - or you could fit a second switch and use two DPDTs, or keep the stock switch and add a DPDT to give out-of-phase...

I've got one of those; it sounds great not plugged in, but I've not quite got it sounding right through an amp; I'll try it through a Rickenbacker solid state amp over the hols.

I need to do a bit of set-up, as the action is a little high too.

(Amusingly, I was going to try and clean off the pickguard, but apparently they are made with the staining!)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got an old Danelectro U2 reissue made in the 1990s which I picked up at a boot sale for £25!!! I don’t know if it’s the pickups, the simple wooden bridge or a combination of the two but it sounds a million better than a more recent reissue I used to own with a more elaborate bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve got one the recent “Stock 59” models, it has the pau ferro bridge (and fingerboard), I’m really happy with it. I want a 12 string 59 now...
  • Anyone try those Jeff Senn bridges ? The videos suggest a clearer more chiming sound 
  • @Creed_Clicks I have a Jeff Senn bridge on my U2. It's good.. just good. On mine at least it required quite a bit of neck shimming to be able to get the action to how I like it. Overall I prefer the original rosewood bridge tbh. When it's not bent to crap anyways. It will never have that problem so I guess that's a plus. 

If you weren't afraid of a little drilling I think the Wilkinson half Tele bridge does what the Jeff Senn bridge does but better and without requiring any shim in the neck pocket at all. With the downside being having to drill into the body. 

I'd say the bridge that ICBM mentions is the best of both worlds tbh. 
  • @punchesjudy there’s an allparts bridge with individual saddles as well which looks to be the same as the examples above.
  • Yea I've seen that. Probably a good choice that. 
  • I’ll hold fire until the new year for a dano . See what crops up on used market 
  • ICBM said:

There was one of these where I used to work. The saddles all bent under nothing more than the pressure of the strings so they could no longer be adjusted. Compared to the late 90s Danos I've owned (a U2 and a Convertible - god I miss that Convertible) this felt totally different. The finish was satin instead of gloss and the headstock was the wrong shape. The neck was solid but the body and hardware all felt very cheap to me.

Can't say enough good about the U2 and the Convertible, thought I would also concede that the "D" stamped tuner covers and the white button tuners felt a little cheap.
  • Wonder how the new stock 59 holds up ?
  • The original bridge collapsed on mine, probably partly due to the heavy strings in open A tuning. However, I replaced it with a Wilkinson short Tele bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles. Much better sustain now than the 3-screw wooden saddle job.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7113
    tFB Trader
    RickLucas said:
    The original bridge collapsed on mine, probably partly due to the heavy strings in open A tuning. However, I replaced it with a Wilkinson short Tele bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles. Much better sustain now than the 3-screw wooden saddle job.
    The modern ones all collapse under string tension. There is a fix that I've used whereby you put a small fourth screw under the front of the bridge in the middle to support it. A hole is drilled (slightly smaller diameter than the screw) in the bridge plate so that you can adjust the screw height.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Yikes so I’d be risking it getting one of the new 59s with the “old” bridge ? I could replace the bridge and I’d upgrade pickups too !
    RickLucas said:
    The original bridge collapsed on mine, probably partly due to the heavy strings in open A tuning. However, I replaced it with a Wilkinson short Tele bridge with 3 compensated brass saddles. Much better sustain now than the 3-screw wooden saddle job.
    The modern ones all collapse under string tension. 
    If this is the case, what kind of time frame are you describing?
    My Dano '56 U2 PRO Reissue is about 14 years old & shows no sign of imminent collapse despite being constantly strung at normal tension.
  • Wonder how the new stock 59 holds up ?
    I love mine, got it in vintage white.