definitive fuzz pedals

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I've never had much luck with fuzz pedals, until I got hold of a Mojohand FX Colossus Fuzz. Best one I've tried and works well with the other pedals on my board. I did a little demo of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVMrlCX4hmo
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1247
    Shin-Ei FY2 Companion Fuzz. It's like flossing with sandpaper. Perfect fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
    Link to my trading feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    juansolo;259384" said:
    kelvinburn said:

@juansolo Holy shit! Amazing work. If you ever build any more of the "Hashishian" type pedals I'd definately have one

Can do another no probs. They're just pricey...
    Not as such...

A boutique fuzz typically costs between 50 quid for an unknown who wants to sell a few up to 200 quid for folk who are known and want to make a living.

So 400 quid for 4 or 5 of them from someone reputable is actually... Well, cheap.

But pricey :) if I was a fuzz whore (sadly, I'm more distortion) I'd sell all my pedals bar delay and buy one and never look back because I'd probably never need another fuzz in my life.
    Well yes, let be rephrase that, they're more than most people are prepared to pay ;) I only build to order the big/complicated stuff now anyhow. Can't afford to have hundreds of pounds kicking around in pedals that are just lying around. The sad reality is that when the fund goes into the red and I need some cap money (it's a self-funding hobby, at least it is now... just), I just knock out a few Klones. Easy to sell on ebay and now we've got the mother of all PCBs to build it on, best return for effort involved.

Sad really as I actually enjoy more challenging builds. But I still keep coming up with silly ideas anyhow... Currently halfway through a complete monster of a pedal. Couple more weeks and I should have it done.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    @juansolo - sensei what's the pcb you've used for the selectors with those relays upon it?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    Something Jason Lilly (Jubal81 on Madbean) came up with. I managed to snag one of the 3 proto's he had made. It is utterly perfect for the job. Made the entire effect possible.
  • I really like my malekko omicron fuzz. It's somewhere between an Octavia and more of a muffy fuzz - not full on octave but lots of overtones. Also does a nice scooped tone but not easy to get to since on an internal switch. I really love octave fuzz tones though, one of these days ill get the real Octavia thing.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @juansolo could you pm me price of the hashishian spec. I am starting a stoner rock side project and it is the perfect pedalboard in a box. Well with a wah and tuner.
    Cheers
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Skreddy nuff said
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7339
    I'm liking my new Pharaoh fuzz at the moment and would also say the Muff with Tone Wicker can be sweet live and at volume.

I also like my Fulltone '70 and love my Euthymia ICBM.

• allicioallicio Frets: 221
    I liked the Pharaoh too. Nice pedal!
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    I was going to create another thread but i might as well chip in here. I know nothing of fuzzes...i have always hated that lo-fi glitchy sound. But i know there must be a fuzz out there for me, something smooth and endlessly sustaining without sounding like a wasp in a jamjar. No offence to those who love that. So, fuzzy folk, what ought i to be looking at? Nothing too cheap.

A good MKII with oc81 trannies would be my recommendation. Nice and smooth and cleans up well with the guitars volume.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited June 2014
    I HATE FUZZZZZZZZZZ - BUT -  two that I like are the Wampler Velvet Fuzz and that one that Bear Grylls makes...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

• MattGMattG Frets: 170
    MKII s are brilliant, and the fox tone machine would probably be my dream fuzz as it is just for lack of a better word... perfect!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    stonevibe said:
    I'm liking my new Pharaoh fuzz at the moment and would also say the Muff with Tone Wicker can be sweet live and at volume.

I also like my Fulltone '70 and love my Euthymia ICBM.

allicio said:
    I liked the Pharaoh too. Nice pedal!
    have you guys tried the other Fuzz's in the BAT line up?

the LSTR and the Ritual are amazing fuzz's too.
    I haven't mate no. Ive moved on to arcane Analog for my pedals now. His builds are amazing.