Screwing pickups into wood.

I've got some OCP's and they look boss! 

However, I'm screwing them straight into the body.  The screws for that are a bit different to the ones included (they're self tapping and have a bigger... Er... pitch?).  

So how do I enlarge the holes in the pickups?

If the screws are too long, I'll see if my local West End has any shorter ones in that are the same :)

BTW the guitar now looks like this...

SO DAMN CLOSE TO FINISHED
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    edited May 2014
    How much space is there under the pickup feet? Are you planning on putting springs to make them height-adjustable, or screwing them directly to the wood? Or maybe using a small rubber bushing?

Those screws are far too long for anything other than springs with a lot of clearance under the feet. You probably want about 10mm into the wood, max.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM Hmm okay, I'll definitely look for shorter screws then!

Any ideas on where to find them?  I don't know tech specs for screws...

I'm planning on screwing straight into the wood, but with springs in place - so it will be height adjustable for sure, though only a couple of mm each way I'd imagine.  Or, more likely, some cut up mousemat - that way, it'll be height adjustable and give a solid base for the pickup.  

Ideally, I'd like screws that go straight through the mounts as now, so I don't need to mess up what they're currently tapped for... so maybe I'll take a pickup out with me tomorrow afternoon and see what I can find :)
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Did you talk to Ash about this ?

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    These are  the ones I use on jazzmasters and tele neck pickups..

• Did you talk to Ash about this ?
    Nah mate, but there shouldn't be any real modification needed - a narrower screw than the standard humbuggy mount screw (2.42mm, so anything narrower than that that goes straight through) that self taps and is about half the size of a normal one screwed into the wood through a couple of bits of foam gives adjustable height and lets me use the pickups in a regular guitar, too.  

Win win all around.  I just love the look of wood mounted pickups :)
  • JookyChap said:
    These are  the ones I use on jazzmasters and tele neck pickups..
    Merci! That'll be a last resort, as I'd need to ream (?) the holes already in the pickups. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Those look perfect, if you're going direct to wood. The hole in a humbucker foot is usually M3 (3mm) or the US equivalent.

If you're putting a bit of rubber underneath you might want to go up to about 15mmx2.5mm, but no more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Those look perfect, if you're going direct to wood. The hole in a humbucker foot is usually M3 (3mm) or the US equivalent.

If you're putting a bit of rubber underneath you might want to go up to about 15mmx2.5mm, but no more.
    I ordered them :)

I'll let you know how they go, I'm hoping they go straight through so I can preserve the tapping they have, should I want to move them onto a different guitar.  Then that, some foam underneath the pickup and screwed down to height *should* work.  

And look boss while it works.  ;)

Blade pickups :D Oil City is the king.
  • Just to update, those screws are perfect - I just need to screw the pickups into a couple of small pieces of wood, lower them in and adjust the size of the wood until the pickups are a fair height, then glue those blocks in.  

Easy :) I'm using a few pieces of neoprene to give me a bit of height adjustability, so all is well.  I think.  
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4266
    It's looking great, we need some shots in proper light though to show it off! :)
  • Next shot will be finished, pre set up. :) hopefully Thursday or Friday.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11156
    tFB Trader
    My Havocs look mean in that guitar I must say! For further reference ... if anybody wants their mounting holes reamed (ooooooer Missus) .... or indeed their feet rendered triangular on their OC pickups ... just let me know when you order ... its no extra charge :-)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• They look the biz mate. I've never considered blades before, but I don't know why.

It's going to kick bum :) the neck pickup screwed in at what seems to be a reasonable height! So I just need a couple of wood plug shim type things for the bridge pickup and it's ready to be taken to Bedford for a nut cut and set up :)

Then it's finally a working guitar!

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
    edited June 2014
    Also, I'm trying these screws instead just so there is a bit more purchase in the wood...

The 10mm only go in a tiny bit for the neck pickup, so 12mm should be perfect.  The bridge pickup is being shimmed up so it won't matter so much. 

Just for future reference.  These screws go straight through standard bucker holes, so avoid the need for modification.