Just put some 11s on...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I'm tempted to go up to 11s from 10-52s but given that it's only really a slight increase on the top strings I'm not sure I'd see enough benefit to make it worth the effort.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use 8's for standard tuning.

I also use 11's for standard tuning.

And, occasionally, I use 13's for D standard or drop C.  All 25.5" scale, but one is a jazzmaster, and one is a shred axe (currently in drop C).  

Different strings have different uses on different guitars.  I love putting 8's on, and tuning standard or even flat.  They go so slinky, with no sustain, and it's a more interesting tone than 9's.  And you play faster.

On the other hand, put anything lighter than 11's on a jazzmaster and it doesn't work.  Any higher and fingers start bleeding, and it does sound a bit 'stiff' (I think I know exactly what ICBM means their).  

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2085
    edited September 2013

Well, I went with 11-49s from my usual 10-46 (D'Addario) so not much difference in size but a big difference in feel and tension.  For a fiver, it's worth a go but I did have to undertake some gentle filing of the nut for the G string which was binding a tad.

No big effort to bend compared to the tens. Try it - you never know...
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    ICBM;25813" I can't use 13s on an acoustic and not even 12s on some guitars, they're just too stiff. I also think they seem to sound stiff even when I'm not trying to bend anything, but that may be just perception.

Even if you're not consciously bending the strings, they'll stay more perfectly in tune when you dig in and pick harder so that effect will be noticeable. One of the things I like about 11s is that they feel substantial, but if you really smash them you still get that cool little "start sharp and ring out to pitch" thing going on which to me is part of the sound of a guitar when you go for it.

I remember the first time I went to 11s was on the day my old Floyd band performed "the Wall" live. I'd done all the practices with 9s, so the first time I went to do a full tone bend it was fucking agony, putting my whole arm into it to get up to pitch. And the two tone bends in "Another Brick in the Wall"? Fuck off, my guitar gently wept.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74397
    Cirrus said:
    Even if you're not consciously bending the strings, they'll stay more perfectly in tune when you dig in and pick harder so that effect will be noticeable. One of the things I like about 11s is that they feel substantial, but if you really smash them you still get that cool little "start sharp and ring out to pitch" thing going on which to me is part of the sound of a guitar when you go for it.

Exactly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I just took delivery of some 11-49s for my strat. I am expecting tonal majesty and strings always right where I left them.

LET'S DO THIS :x

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.