SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB:- Ibanez Artist, ca 1976-1985

hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
edited August 2013 in Guitars £
I've been hankering after one of these for a while, I'd prefer the bling version with triple binding, pearl/abalone inlays, and a nice top, preferably a burst but I am open minded about the wood/finish. Pristine isn't essential, however I'm not interested in a wreck either.

Anyone know of anything?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    edited August 2013
    A mate of mine is selling this, it's an '82 model.

but it is currently in Perth, Western Australia. Can put you in touch if you like?

Last I heard he wanted £780 for it, but exchange rates may have shifted.
  • Some more photos for you:

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4327
    That is very very nice and exactly what I'm looking for. It would have been exceptional with an original green lined case but I'd happily forego that.

Unfortunately I'd not be happy about shipping it half way round the world. He's not coming here on holiday is he?
    :D
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28442
    hywelg said:
    Unfortunately I'd not be happy about shipping it half way round the world. 
    I've had 3 shipped over from Japan.  No problems.  

Apart from the grief I got from Mrs TT obviously.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2934
    Thats nice :)
    I shipped a laney lc 30 to Russia once with no hassle :)
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13588
    all I can say is,  had an '81 with less bling,  it was simply - superb 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • I've been in touch with the owner and it's still for sale

A couple more photos for your delectation:

There is a scratch (caused by a previous owner) that is only noticeable close up

Yes its still gorgeous, but I still have reservations over the distance thing. Its one thing buying off eBay from a respected seller with all the protections in place from both eBay and Paypal, its quite another to buy blind from a mate of a forum acquaintance. Not suggesting anything about either of you mind! If I was buying from someone in the UK I'd want to have my mitts on it before parting with cash and I'd be prepared to travel to do it.

Short of me booking a holiday to Aus, if there was anyway round that dilemma I'd be very pleased to hear about it, but I suspect I'm going to be disappointed.
  • Life is full of disappointments.

The owner is over every year or two as he has family here. He was here only a few weeks ago though, so you may have to wait for the next trip.
  • Have you tried the Ibanez Collectors' Forum?
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    That should sell easily at that price!
    Have you tried the Ibanez Collectors' Forum?
    Registered now. Looking forward to seeing whats on there. Is it UK or worldwide?
     He was here only a few weeks ago though, so you may have to wait for the next trip.
    Bugger!!!
  • hywelg said:
    Have you tried the Ibanez Collectors' Forum?
    Registered now. Looking forward to seeing whats on there. Is it UK or worldwide?

It's a worldwide forum. I don't go on there often - I have 3 old Ibanezes but I'm no collector. They're just heavily modded working guitars.
    But the  ICF seems to be the place for genuine Ibanez knowledge and advice - and collectors!   :)
    Bump....
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    Bloody gorgeous don't blame you for wanting one!
    Bump. Still looking everywhere, been a few on eBay but mostly too far away to try 'em.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'd love an old Ibanez Artist, too - there's something about them...!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• custom1981custom1981 Frets: 8
    edited December 2013
    hywelg said:
    I've been hankering after one of these for a while, I'd prefer the bling version with triple binding, pearl/abalone inlays, and a nice top, preferably a burst but I am open minded about the wood/finish. Pristine isn't essential, however I'm not interested in a wreck either.

Anyone know of anything?

If you have never tried one of these guitars before then it may help you to know that the necks are very small and thin with a fairly flat fretboard and they have a very similar shape neck to the Ibanez wizard neck
    if you are checking out a version that has the flame maple top it is worth taking out a pickup to look underneath to see if the cap is solid flame maple or very thin flame maple veneer as this to my mind should be a consideration when placing a value on the guitar
    The solid flame maple ones are very easy to spot as you can see the flame running right through the full thickness of the cap in the pick up cavity when the pickup is removed.
    I have owned several of these guitars and they vary quite a bit in terms of how they sound but in general I think the ones I have owned all sounded more like a les paul custom as opposed to a les paul standard , I have found the reissues are nowhere near as good the originals also the should you manage to get your mitts on a very early original it will become very obvious that the early ones were handbuilt and are all slightly different and unique , if you find an early one with a solid maple cap you cannot go wrong and they are a great bang for buck and if it said gibson on it instead of Ibanez then you would have to pay a small fortune for the same sort of quality, oh yeah some of the pickups are sublime.....   

• Our drummer's got one. I picked it up the other day, it must weigh over 12lbs - strong shoulders required! :-O
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/