Best budget analog delay

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
I have been reading the recent 'best delay for front ending an amp' thread with interest as that is exactly what I need as I'm in need of a delay but my amp has no fx loop. The general impression I got from that thread was an analogue delay would be best for the front end. I am on a bit of a tight budget but came across the ehx memory toy, good price, analogue, true bypass, could be the one! Any one any experience of this pedal or recommendations for others I should check out at a similar price point?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 11024
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16287
    edited May 2014
    the answer would be a s/h carbon copy,maybe get one in here for 80 quids or so?!
    tae be or not tae be
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    I got a Boss DM3 for less than £70, sounds great but 300ms is a pretty short delay, but if that's what you want the Boss delays have plenty of Mojo
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16657
    The Garagetone delay ( like most these days it's actually digital but producing an analogue oriented sound) gets a lot of love. Under £60.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I like the Memory Toy/Boy it's a bit dark and lofi, but the modulation is awesome.
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401

how about one of these Belcat analogue delays for 20 quid. i've had one on my pedal board for about 5 years now. got great reviews when it first came out.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-DLY-503-Delay-Pedal/B71?origin=product-ads&gclid=CJDole_b1L4CFSjItAodq1IApQ

The Swamp City Shakers
    tFB Trader

how about one of these Belcat analogue delays for 20 quid. i've had one on my pedal board for about 5 years now. got great reviews when it first came out.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Belcat-DLY-503-Delay-Pedal/B71?origin=product-ads&gclid=CJDole_b1L4CFSjItAodq1IApQ

I've had one and they are very good, but not analog even though they claim to be,
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    not analogue? i want my money back :P
    The Swamp City Shakers
    tFB Trader
    There are dozens of pedals labeled as analog delays that are actually digital. 

That said the Mad Prof Deep Blue is digital so it's not like they sound bad. 
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited May 2014

There are dozens of pedals labeled as analog delays that are actually digital. 

That said the Mad Prof Deep Blue is digital so it's not like they sound bad. 
    You're dead right. The Belcat's a decent sounding delay but not analogue. I had one and loved the sound, but I sold it on because what I wanted above all was a nice analogue delay that would sound great AND let me play UFOs and make other funny sounds with self-oscillation. 

I got the Behringer Boss DM-3 copy. Not bad but usual Behringer caveats apply (easy to break into though like I did to adjust the trim pot to give it more delay). 

If that broke and/or I got bored I would be looking at either Behringer large MemoryMan  copy, or the EHX Memory Toy as per the OP. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I had the belcat and I could hear it still delaying even when the pedal was off! I had both the artec units (black one and the bigger silver one) and they were both very good. The biyang I had sounded good but died very quickly and the Carl Martin red repeat that I picked up for £25 just sounded horrific.
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    See if you can find one of the old shape Carl Martin Red Repeat pedals. Great sound and I only ever used it straight in front of an amp...another pedal I really miss lol...ho hum
  • gambitgambit Frets: 5
    the DOD FX90 is my favourite analog delay.. about £30-40 too.

the Memory Toy was a bit noisy for me, but the adjustable modulation depth was nice
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    cbilly22 said:
    See if you can find one of the old shape Carl Martin Red Repeat pedals. Great sound and I only ever used it straight in front of an amp...another pedal I really miss lol...ho hum

@cbilly22 or OP. I've got a Carl Martin Red Repeat that I bought from here a few months back (the good one - square metal case). It's boxed and in great shape. Might be persuaded to part with it. Much better than a cheapo you'd get for a similar price.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 328
    @ElectroDan I could be tempted, how much would you be looking for posted in the uk? Will check them out and get back to you. I'm on a course tomorrow so sorry if there is a bit of a delay in getting back to you

I paid £40 posted, and will be happy to do it for that.

Its in this thread http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/14400/fs-pedal-clearout-volume-2#latest

There's even a new battery in there.

:)
    @ElectroDan Seems pretty cool, getting very tempted now, how does it fair in he front end of a crunchy amp?

I prefer gain before delay if I'm honest. Horses for courses and all that. I find echo into crunch a bit lo-fi sounding.

I use delay in the loop if I'm relying on the amp for drive. If I'm using pedals or an FX processor I'll put delay in the front, but then have the amp sound fairly clean, but strong.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @ElectroDan, there is my problem you see, I normally run my delay in the loop, but have recently got an orange dual terror to save lugging my big rig to every practice and it doesn't have a loop. To be honest I think for £40 it's worth me giving the carl Martin a try and if it doesn't do the job I can move it on. PM me your PayPal details and I will send the money over. Cheers, Mark
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    caline blue ocean, its a chinese deep blue delay clone