Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

High gain strat pickups?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4257
    edited January 2020
    I haven't tried them, but I have it on good authority from someone on here that the Entwistle noiseless single coils are excellent with loads of gain, and they're ridiculously cheap as well...

Edit: and talking of cheap, the Duncan Designed hot rails in my Jackson sound really good. I believe they're slightly hotter than the SD ones they're based on
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 541
    I have a Strat version of the Oil City Hardman DC resistance is 9k and it has a steel back plate. It really kicks without being too compressed. Overwound Stone Tones may well fit your bill. 
    Don't touch that dial.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Alex2678 said:
    https://www.alchemypickups.co.uk/product-page/hemlock

I’ve got one of these in the bridge position, absolutely rips with high gain, still stratty when needed. Think it reads 16k. Made in U.K., great returns policy if they’re not to taste. Pretty quick turnaround in my experience, think the site says 10 days but was less in my case.

put a video on Instagram when I installed it if you’ll excuse the quality of both the playing and the video : 
    https://www.instagram.com/p/B3KQGRTHjf7/?igshid=f5uth91zkzoi
    Thanks for that, useful to see the video. I went to their website but was going to discount it as they don't have any spec at all, but I see that you reckon it's about 16k - once again useful!

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3376
    I’d go for dimarzio HS2’s. Great pickups for clean and handle fuzz and dirt very well. 
  • Chopper!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23578
    Chopper!
    Grifter!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Chopper!
    Grifter!
     Didn’t know dimarzio did a whole range of Raleigh  pickups.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12093
    why not get that boost system that is passive until you go past the central notch, or just one that switches on when you want it with a switch or push/push pot?

then you can have both

I essentially have both on my EMGs with active EQ
  • Anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Red Devil? 
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2423
    edited February 2020
    grungebob said:
    I’d go for dimarzio HS2’s. Great pickups for clean and handle fuzz and dirt very well. 
    They are eye-wateringly expensive though...

£100million,

but on the plus side, they do also get you to Birmingham from London in 45 minutes.... If that is a positive? (not sure really)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14750
    Anyone tried the Seymour Duncan Red Devil? 
    They are on my wish list.

What I have tried that is very similar are the Duncan Custom Shop Pearly Gates for Telecaster and for Stratocaster. Both surprisingly LP-ish until around the fourteenth fret, where the screwed in neck loses out to a glued in one for mechanical sustain.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2954
    MrBump said:
    I had a BKP Trilogy Suite set.  Briefly.  Absolutely hated them, couldn't get anything that I liked out of them.  Definitely not Stratty, if they ever make the list.
    I wasn’t a huge fan of my neck one either. It was ok for smooth compressed leads but anything else wasn’t so good. I had better luck with BG Pickups Vintage 60s with a fatter bridge pickup option.