Humbucker Installation the lazy way

What's Hot
JD50JD50 Frets: 662
edited May 2014 in Making & Modding
Hi folks,

I am about to swap out a bucker from my Sheraton for a SD 59.  I want to attach the wires from the SD pup to those of the original Epi pup rather than fish around pulling pots out of the F hole...

So my question is am I right in thinking I just solder the black wire of the SD to the white wire of the Ep & then the green & bare wire of the SD to the bare wire of the Epi?

The Epi also has a short black wire coming out of the pup, which I think was a ground for the cover...... the SD does not appear to have one, so I assume the solder will ground it to the base.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    Yes. Bare and green to shield, black to hot (white in the Epiphone cable), red and white joined together and insulated. Test it and make sure it's in phase with the other pickup - if not, swap black and green - then insulate the hot connection as well.

Don't cut the Duncan cable short, coil it up under the pickup, so you can still use it in another guitar if you want to.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    A big +1 on not cutting the wire and coiling it under the pickup, a bit of a no-brainier when trying new pickups :)
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    Cheers chaps, great advice as ever.