Taking photos of your guitars (black background technique)

What's Hot
PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
edited May 2014 in Guitar
Decided to create a 'rig' for taking photos of my guitars, thought it would be good to have uniform professional looking pictures of each one for insurance purposes if nothing else. 

Wanted to keep it nice and simple, the house we are in at the moment has a half converted garage (it's a room, but the walls aren't plastered etc..) and the previous tenants had fitted a cheapo looking guitar hanger, the only thing going for it was that it's black, it was way too high up though, likely to get headstock damage trying to put a guitar in there and it'd have meant extending the camera tripod very high.

The background is from Wilkinson, it's a fablon type material (self adhesive), but with a 'velvet' finish, I bought two rolls at £5 each. I drilled new holes for the guitar hanger, applied the black material over the top, refitted the guitar hanger, leaving enough room at the top and going far enough down so I could photograph my Jazz Bass too, I also applied some material to the sides where the guitar body would hang as the fit for my Midtown Custom was very tight. I then covered the screw holes, including the plastic body of the hanger and the hanger prongs themselves.

The camera was on a tripod, set for a long exposure.

Here's a picture of the setup before any editing (slight tweaks to levels etc..)

In photoshop, I cropped it, created a pure black background layer, deleted all the background I didn't want in the picture (the brickwork etc..) then used levels to work out what part of the black background needed darkening. A few more post processing tweaks later (including rotating the image) and here's two of my guitars, I'll get round to doing the rest soon.

Hopefully the above might be useful to someone wanting to take some pictures of their guitars, if you want any more detail about any of the above, let me know :)

Dave.
0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4243
    Nice pics
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrSwansonMrSwanson Frets: 506
    That PRS is well gorge!!

View my trading feedback here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58681/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2933
    Excellent stuff :)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Useful that, Dave. I am in the process of doing the same. How did you lose the black of the hanger encroaching on the headstock binding in the first pic?

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    JohnPerry said:
    Useful that, Dave. I am in the process of doing the same. How did you lose the black of the hanger encroaching on the headstock binding in the first pic?
    Hi John,

I cheated a bit.. when editing the photo, I used the sampler tool to get the colour of the binding, used the shape tool to drawer a straight line near the area, then used free transform to warp the line to the correct shape, then used the smudge tool to blend it in.

For the PRS I chopped off the bulky bit of the guitar hanger so there was less to edit away after :) - The next ones should be easier now.

Dave.
    Finished taking photos now of the guitars I'm keeping (2x Strats up for sale), all worked well aside from the Custom, I guess the slightly different neck angle pulled the guitar back a bit, hence the different look. I'll have another try tomorrow when I take some new pics of the Strats I have for sale :)

Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Excellent results. Proper "catalogue" shots.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    edited May 2014 tFB Trader
    Nice - good results too!
    I should maybe try something like that 

The first two below were taken laying on a table on some faux leather
    The thrird is hanging from a guitar hander like you did, but without hiding the hanger as well as you have, so I'm just showing a body shot

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Great shots (lovely guitar too!), looks like you've done a bit better on reflections :)
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    this thread needs some single coil action
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11966
    tFB Trader
    Only slightly single coil-ish (TV Jones in neck)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28422

You could sell guitars like that.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10010
    Very good. Should pay dividends if you're selling.

What happens if you have a black guitar though?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    edited May 2014
    thermionic;255011" said:
    Probably need to draw round it with chalk - like where a body is found at a crime scene....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Very good. Should pay dividends if you're selling.

The black of the guitar should be different enough to seperate it from the background
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    Looks good.

Also, if you're taking photos with an eye to insurance, make sure you have a few shots of you and each guitar together. Just in case the insurers demand proof that you ever actually had them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    @PVO_Dave Good work, Sir!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    @PVO_Dave nice collection Sir and lovely pics
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Looks good.

Also, if you're taking photos with an eye to insurance, make sure you have a few shots of you and each guitar together. Just in case the insurers demand proof that you ever actually had them.
    For real?
    They would insist on that?
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25001
    edited June 2014
    close2u;255176" said:
    For real?

They would insist on that?
    I had a Cartier watch stolen some years ago. The loss adjuster wanted evidence I'd owned it.

Fortunately I'd kept the instruction manual separate from the watch and it's box (the box was taken as well) and this was sufficient to them to pay out.

Things like the final inspection tag on a PRS would probably suffice. To be fair, the date the photo was taken could be evidence also.

I'd rather err on the side of too much proof, incase the unthinkable should happen.

Incidentally, the burglars who took my watch left an American Vintage Reissue '62 Strat which was on a stand and my genuine '63 Fiesta Red Strat which was in its case under the bed! That said, this was a long time ago. I suppose now they'd Google the item off their phone if unsure as to whether it's worth nicking....