Taking photos of your guitars (black background technique)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13365
    close2u;255176" said:
    UnclePsychosis said:

Looks good.

Also, if you're taking photos with an eye to insurance, make sure you have a few shots of you and each guitar together. Just in case the insurers demand proof that you ever actually had them.

For real?

They would insist on that?
    It's not unheard of. After all, "no I don't have a receipt because I paid cash to a dude off the Internet" and "but I do have an extremely pretty but generic photo of a guitar" aren't exactly convincing proof of ownership!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3892
    Nice collection. 
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2392
    Thanks for the positive comments on both the photos and the guitars :)

I think I'll revisit the hanger strategy, photoshopping out the prongs is a bit of a pain and more effort than I'd hoped (with mixed results on the Fender headstocks), I'll try and bend the end of the prongs down and sit the guitar further back in the hanger.

Insurance wise, I think @UnclePsychosis raises a good point, the only high value guitar I don't have a photo of me with is the PRS as I only got it the other day, soon to be rectified, although I do have the tag etc.. for it, also have the certificates / paperwork for the Gibson's too, kept separate from the guitars.

Just for @meltedbuzzbox, some single coil action, both of these are for sale in the classified section, I'll update the photos on eBay too :D

Dave.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    ...you can do a black background in Photoshop...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Good luck doing a believable job that way :) - even using the refinement options of auto select in PS is a bit hit and miss.

• NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    Very nice work Dave. 

The black background is the way to go IMO. 

You lose all the extraneous stuff like carpets etc so you can concentrate on the guitar.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    What's wrong with a nice old patterned carpet?

;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    the photos and guitars are great
    :)
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    PVO_Dave said:
    Very good. Should pay dividends if you're selling.

What happens if you have a black guitar though?

The black of the guitar should be different enough to seperate it from the background
    Black on black?? Nice photos although personally I think a more neutral background as in the Feline pics might help to show the guitar colours better (especially a black guitar!). 
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    PVO_Dave said:

The black of the guitar should be different enough to seperate it from the background
    Black on black?? Nice photos although personally I think a more neutral background as in the Feline pics might help to show the guitar colours better (especially a black guitar!). 
    Yep, you can sort of see what I mean with the lighter sunburst Strat, the edges of the burst are black, but because they aren't #000000 black and glossy you can see the defined line still.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Feline guitars pictures, but removing the headstock hangers from that kind of background is going to be hard, you have the variance in background colour and also shadow etc.. to contend with. Not that removing the hanger is essential of course :)
    PVO_Dave said:

Yep, you can sort of see what I mean with the lighter sunburst Strat, the edges of the burst are black, but because they aren't #000000 black and glossy you can see the defined line still.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Feline guitars pictures, but removing the headstock hangers from that kind of background is going to be hard, you have the variance in background colour and also shadow etc.. to contend with. Not that removing the hanger is essential of course :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    PVO_Dave said:
    57Deluxe;255554" said:
    Good luck doing a believable job that way :) - even using the refinement options of auto select in PS is a bit hit and miss.

...I didn't say 'I' could!! :D
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>