Creating Antigua Burst - Science?????

lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
edited June 2014 in Making & Modding

I am gonna do an Antigua Burst on a tele im building even if it kills me, I've currently mixed (and wasted) about a pint of paint trying to get the correct colours for the burst, is there anyone out there that has successfully created said colours, I'm buggered if I can work out what base colours they originally used back in the 70's and I certainly don't wanna replicate the cruddy version the Japanese are knocking out.

have a looksee and tell me what you think they could possibly have used in the blend!!!!image

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    Is it desert sand under the burst?   looks a bit yellower in that pic, but that will be the clear

I used alpha romeo when trying to recreate desert sand once.   it was a bit too dark for that, but similar tones to this

i would start with a base colour alogn those lines, then burst in the greeny brown colour
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    lamf68 said:
    have a looksee and tell me what you think they could possibly have used in the blend!!!!
    Custard?

Tobacco smoke?

Puke?

;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    WezV said:
    Is it desert sand under the burst?   looks a bit yellower in that pic, but that will be the clear

I used alpha romeo when trying to recreate desert sand once.   it was a bit too dark for that, but similar tones to this

i would start with a base colour alogn those lines, then burst in the greeny brown colour
    Wez, are you saying Alpha Romeo is an actual colour, or do you mean there's an old Alpha car out there similar in shade to the middle cream/yellow?
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17008
    missed off the two important words - alpha romeo beige cava
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12537

Looks like Dulux's "Heavy Smoker's Hanky".

;)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Best of luck on that, but I have to say that is the instrument finish I hate most of all!
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7337
    It's works on some; the old Antigua Coronados looked amazing.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    GavHaus said:
    It's works on some; the old Antigua Coronados looked amazing.
    No, it's still pukeburst but on a different guitar!

Though at least there is some purpose on Coronados - the finish was originally created in order to hide damage caused by Fender's inept attempts at binding, apparently using blunt tooling which actually singed the wood when they routed the binding channel. So some genius came up with the idea of making the edges a brownish colour so the scorched bits wouldn't show through… although why the pickguards were ever done the same is a total mystery.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I'm not a fan. That said, the finish is preferable to what Gibson have put out on Les Paul models. Gecko Burst anyone? Awful.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • I actually like this burst, good luck with getting the colour you want!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7936

lamf68 said:

I am gonna do an Antigua Burst on a tele im building even if it kills me, I've currently mixed (and wasted) about a pint of paint trying to get the correct colours for the burst, is there anyone out there that has successfully created said colours, I'm buggered if I can work out what base colours they originally used back in the 70's and I certainly don't wanna replicate the cruddy version the Japanese are knocking out.

have a looksee and tell me what you think they could possibly have used in the blend!!!!image

that's the aged colour, of course - I recall the originals looking much (IMHO) nicer.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4225
    They were grey originally, only aged have they gone the Pukey colour.
    They were grey originally, only aged have they gone the Pukey colour.
    The guitar I had was only a couple of years old and it certainly wasn't grey! nothing like it in fact. I bought it in 1980, it was near as dammit the exact same colour as the precision shown in the pictures. 
    The early ones I saw, and there was 3 brand new ones in Cardiff Sound centre back about 80-81, and they were grey to me, certainly nothing like the colour of the new ones.
    http://fendercolorchart.webatu.com/colors/281Antigua.php If you look at the strat, you can see its a new pic ie from the catalogue, others are aged guitars which have been photographed.
    The early ones I saw, and there was 3 brand new ones in Cardiff Sound centre back about 80-81, and they were grey to me, certainly nothing like the colour of the new ones.
    Agreed, they are nothing like the new version of this colour - I actually bought mine from Sound Centre in Cardiff, I remember the day well, turned up there with a pocket full of £1.00 notes and the odd £5.00...I can't remember for the life of me how much I paid for it, but it  took an age to save up for it. There was a Gibson Grabber there at the time for the same price that I should have bought instead but I fell for the colour of this.
    I was probably in the shop drooling as well! I bought my brand new international series tele in Monaco yellow there in 81, which was a S8 serial tele. So much for the tele daters!