Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Is guitar/bass the only instruments made either left or right handed?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• shufflebeatshufflebeat Frets: 105
    edited March 2020
    The question of whether a leftie should be taught to play right handed crops up regularly. It usually settles between, "it makes no difference" and, "it makes all the difference in the world" but there isn't really any way to benchmark or control a study so it's hard to get beyond that.

My experience is that orchestral players often have conventional technique imposed on them for reasons of expedience, people who learn on their own tend towards the rhythm being better in their writing hand but will sometimes deliberately or unwittingly go with convention.

I am a leftie and play like one.

P.S. It's not so long ago that my uncle was beaten by the (not so) Christian Brothers for writing with his left hand so my position on this is a little bit politicised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HCDaviesHCDavies Frets: 12
    I tried it a few times many moons ago without success, reasoning that the dexterity couldn't harm. So I had a think after reading through this thread. 

I've tuned an acoustic to an open major chord, turned it over put a slide on my right hand. And some horrible and some less horrible sounds have appeared. Now all I need to do is (as always) practice. If I can get my left hand to strum I'll see how far it takes me. 

Futile maybe, but there's f' all else to do at the moment. At least it'll keep me thinking.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom