Bad backs - new rig - looking for your stories

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• @randella - that's exactly what happened to my wife, even down to the "tomorrow" part. She can't feel the majority of her left leg now (permanent) and basically has permanent sciatica.

The "why not sooner" part is because, despite multiple visits to A&E and her GP over 4-5 months, she was repeatedly diagnosed with muscle soreness (!) and sent home with ibuprofen.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 916
    My recipe:
    Guild M75 Aristocrat - 5.5lbs
    Quilter TB200 inside a 10" BlockDock cab - can't weigh more than about 22lb
    Flyrig - weighs about as much as a sherbert dip dab

In reality I take two guitars in a Mono double case, and the Flyrig is backup to my MS3 based board, but even that is the easiest one-trip load-in I've ever had.  
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • randellarandella Frets: 4380
    @randella - that's exactly what happened to my wife, even down to the "tomorrow" part. She can't feel the majority of her left leg now (permanent) and basically has permanent sciatica.

The "why not sooner" part is because, despite multiple visits to A&E and her GP over 4-5 months, she was repeatedly diagnosed with muscle soreness (!) and sent home with ibuprofen.
    That's a real bastard.  My op cured most of the problem, I'm left with residual nerve damage which is controlled in the main by a script of nerve blockers; it flares up badly from time to time but all told I escaped relatively unharmed.  

@digitalscream - please don't think I'm trying to one-up your missus; the reason I bang this drum is because of the opposite - I wish she hadn't had to go through it.  I wish no-one would have to go through it, I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy.

We're all guitarists, and we all like that sound that we get from our big heavy tube amps and speaker cabs.  Those of us who do play gigs and do so at the Dog and Duck know 'that fucking staircase' only too well.

What happened to me and Mrs. DS is basically the thermonuclear endgame of a 'dicky back'; for the love of God people, take care of your spine.  Take @RaymondLin 's advice.

I spent months on the internet researching small amps, lost in a swamp of armchair YouTube gannets telling me that EL84s won't give you that dirty-Marshall-Recto sound.  They do, the amp weighs about the same as a few bags of sugar, and it saves me untold pain.

Lunchbox amps.  I love 'em.

Problem is, I now want a mini-Jube.  And one of those little 5150 jobs. and... and... :)
  • randella said:
    @randella - that's exactly what happened to my wife, even down to the "tomorrow" part. She can't feel the majority of her left leg now (permanent) and basically has permanent sciatica.

That's a real bastard.  My op cured most of the problem, I'm left with residual nerve damage which is controlled in the main by a script of nerve blockers; it flares up badly from time to time but all told I escaped relatively unharmed.  

@digitalscream - please don't think I'm trying to one-up your missus; the reason I bang this drum is because of the opposite - I wish she hadn't had to go through it.  I wish no-one would have to go through it, I wouldn't inflict it on my worst enemy.
    Not at all - in fact, what you're describing sounds very similar to hers, and I hadn't come across the concept of "nerve blockers" - that sounds like something she would find incredibly useful. Without wishing to pry, could you PM me with some details of those?
    <space for hire>
  • randellarandella Frets: 4380
    @digitalscream - PM sent