Synth Options

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717

So, what are options for doing Synth style things with my guitar? Budget would be not alot but what are the possibilities these days?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Zoom G3 and Line 6 M series have a few synthy options, you can pick those up second hand easily.

What sort of sound are you after?

The EHX Micro Synth is as mad as a box of frogs (and big and expensive) and I failed to get anything that useful out of it. Plenty of glitchy lofi noise, but that wasn't really my thing.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    s/h g2 and a vg88 - around £150 ?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • shadyshady Frets: 252
    EHX Superego?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2014
    I think its best to be specific about what kind of synthy thing you want. Synthy leads, pad sounds, bassy wub wubs. ect
  • JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717

Apologies, i should have said. Mainly keyboardy sounds so I can put do some intro's. Examples of stuff could be:

Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams
    We Found Love - Rhianna

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I would just find some guitar sounds that work. Trying to accurately copy keyboard sounds with a guitar is a fool's errand in my opinion - guitar synths are for playing synthy guitar sounds, not keyboard synth sounds.

For what it's worth, I play We Found Love in my acoustic duo… on an acoustic guitar :). Always goes down well.

If you really, really do want to play keyboard parts properly you're going to need some sort of full-on system with a hex pickup, like the Roland GR/GK series - you can't do it with a simple mono electric guitar signal.

I've owned both one of these (which I hated and never got on with) and several synthy-guitar things (including a Micro Synth which I loved and found fantastic, but foolishly sold when I wasn't using it) so I may be personally biased though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Jetfire said:

Apologies, i should have said. Mainly keyboardy sounds so I can put do some intro's. Examples of stuff could be:

Let Me Entertain You - Robbie Williams
    We Found Love - Rhianna

Both of these are gonna be a pain in the butt to play with any guitar set up. The attack of a keyboard is totally different to the attack of a guitar. 

In fact I'd go as far as to say it would probably be EASIER to just buy a synth/sampler and learn to play we found love on that than to try and replicate it on guitar since its a pretty simple keyboard part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    Learn to play some keys.
    You can spend many hundreds of pounds failing to get the sounds that you can get easily with a £100 used keyboard from gumtree.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    This has been posted before but it's worth repeating…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • danodano Frets: 1647
    you could try re-arranging them so they work on guitar. I could see let me entertain you working well as a set of furiously strummed chords. The song (to me) is very Who inspired so just pictuere how Pete Townsend would play it.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10343
    An ebow can get you in the right territory provided its a riff type thing you are after rather than a chord progression
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    Fuzz into chorus can get quite synthy
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3682
    ICBM said:
    This has been posted before but it's worth repeating…

I've never seen that before. Thanks for posting, that was outstanding.