Jet City: update

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 936
    My 20hv is still the most useful amp I have. Often gigged in preference to other, much more expensive, alternatives. Sounds great through a 2061cx and looks good too.

Probably the best £220 i ever spent. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32045
    p90fool said:
    I've had five JC amps and have kept my first 20H, it's still my go-to amp im the studio. The JCA100HDM was an awesome amp, just a bit overkill for my needs. 
    Weirdly, I didn't actually like my 100HDM - there was just something not-quite-as-good compared with the 50H, and I could never put my finger on what the issue was.

I know there were some design differences between them - the 100HDM had optical switching, for example, which led to the (very slight) channel bleed same as some of the Soldano amps, whereas the 50H had relay switching. I don't think that was the issue I was having, though.
    I should probably add that I modded mine with a two-way-plus-bypass bright switch, which made balancing the channels with shared EQ easier, as well as giving better edge of breakup tones. 

If I'd had a 50H instead I would probably kept it tbh, I just didn't fancy the cost of revalving the 100 compared to the initial bargain purchase price, which is a bit of daft logic now I think about it! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27168
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said:
    I've had five JC amps and have kept my first 20H, it's still my go-to amp im the studio. The JCA100HDM was an awesome amp, just a bit overkill for my needs. 
    Weirdly, I didn't actually like my 100HDM - there was just something not-quite-as-good compared with the 50H, and I could never put my finger on what the issue was.

I know there were some design differences between them - the 100HDM had optical switching, for example, which led to the (very slight) channel bleed same as some of the Soldano amps, whereas the 50H had relay switching. I don't think that was the issue I was having, though.
    I should probably add that I modded mine with a two-way-plus-bypass bright switch, which made balancing the channels with shared EQ easier, as well as giving better edge of breakup tones. 

If I'd had a 50H instead I would probably kept it tbh, I just didn't fancy the cost of revalving the 100 compared to the initial bargain purchase price, which is a bit of daft logic now I think about it! 
    Yeah, I modded all the Jet City amps I had, just removing the bright caps, aka "the bit Mike Soldano put in to make them sound noticeably worse than his Soldano amps".

It's a real shame they've all but disappeared; they were basically the ultimate bargains of the amp market. Nothing could touch them in terms of value for money.

But yeah...the problem is that when you buy an amp for £250, it definitely feels weird spending £150 on a full revalve.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • nikolas7333nikolas7333 Frets: 74
    edited August 2023
    I was after an Amelia 6-8 months back and emails kicked back and phone just kept ringing out. Shame
    Only semi-on-topic, but there's one for sale on FB ATM, if you haven't already spied it.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2414
    edited August 2023
    I still use my 50H and was looking for a spare for a while. It's a shame what's happened. I think most people didn't get the brand and thought they'd be awful due to their affordability. 
    Yeah I still love my 50H. The lower gain channel stopped working a while ago, but happily it started working again. Amazing what a quick hoover and plugging the footswitch cable in and out again can do...   (I thought I tried the cable in-and-out before and that didn't work, but maybe the hoovering and moving it around to hoover it is what did it...)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was after an Amelia 6-8 months back and emails kicked back and phone just kept ringing out. Shame
    Only semi-on-topic, but there's one for sale on FB ATM, if you haven't already spied it.
    Yes I saw that the day it went up :)

Think it was either too expensive or wouldn’t ship. 
  • For what it's worth, there's a 50H up for sale in Tamworth at £200:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/824341789096877/

Looks like it's been modded a bit, mind - depth mod and something else with a knob between the mid and treble controls (no idea what that might be, not come across it before). I'd want to have a look at the internals before buying, especially after the horror show of my 100HDM after Sick Amps molested it.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • For what it's worth, there's a 50H up for sale in Tamworth at £200:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/824341789096877/

Looks like it's been modded a bit, mind - depth mod and something else with a knob between the mid and treble controls (no idea what that might be, not come across it before). I'd want to have a look at the internals before buying, especially after the horror show of my 100HDM after Sick Amps molested it.
    Hmm.. I'm  about 40 mins from Tammoth* so that's super tempting. I'm not flush with the old cash so will need to ruminate on it for a while.

*West Midlands spelling.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• longjawlongjaw Frets: 424
    edited September 2023
    newi123 said:
    My 20hv is still the most useful amp I have. Often gigged in preference to other, much more expensive, alternatives. Sounds great through a 2061cx and looks good too.

Probably the best £220 i ever spent. 
    Same for me - sounds immense through my Celestion-loaded 2x12 and my Eminence-loaded 2x10.
  • Incidentally, if anybody spots a faulty 50H out there, I could do with one to cannibalise for parts - my 50H has a blown power transformer, and they're a custom-wound unit for these amps, so they simply don't exist anywhere.
    <space for hire>
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2623
    tFB Trader
    Incidentally, if anybody spots a faulty 50H out there, I could do with one to cannibalise for parts - my 50H has a blown power transformer, and they're a custom-wound unit for these amps, so they simply don't exist anywhere.
    Send it to me and I will rewind it to factory spec.... and steal the design at the same time ha ha
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom