Power supply for a Boss MZ-2?

What's Hot
NeilNeil Frets: 3845
My youngest son is into the more metal side of life and  needs a power supply for his Boss MZ-2 Digital Metalizer. Apparently batteries last only a very short time.

I am not a FX bloke so am no help to him.

Anything easily available that will do the job?

Thanks. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    get one of those mini diago power units...they can power 5 or 6 pedals...so he can always expand his set up with no additional power supply cost. I think all up they would cost about £40-£50 (with daisy chain).
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25495
    Visual Sound One Spot

Simple but powerful unit and can be daisy chained for more pedals.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    edited June 2014

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 938
    Some older Boss pedals require a different kind of power supply to the modern ones, I think it's a PSA or ACA type - I forget. Running the modern type Boss adapter will not work woth these pedals. The label on the underside of the pedal should tell you what kind of adapter it needs. However running an older Boss pedal on a daisy chain with other newer Boss pedals will work for some reason.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    PSA type according to this site, which I quite like:

http://www.bossarea.com/loadpage.asp?file=boxes/mz2.xml
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    Thanks for your help everyone, I am clueless when it comes to pedals.

I checked on the bottom and it is a PSA type.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    Any regulated 9V supply with a capacity of at least 100mA and a 2.1mm centre-negative plug will work fine. (ie the industry standard.)

The problem is that the MZ-2 is digital - and quite an old one, when the circuits weren't so refined - so it draws a lot of current. (70mA) This is purely for the digital delay which provides the doubling and chorus sounds.

If he doesn't use the double or chorus modes, it might be an idea to get a MT-2 (Metal Zone) instead - they're purely analogue and will run fine on batteries.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    Visual sound one spot - used one for years, cheap as chips, next to no noise! 
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I have an old Boss PSA 240 I'm not going to use again.........