Poor man's Strymon options?

What's Hot
scarry67scarry67 Frets: 144
Just watched a load of tempting YouTube demos of their wares. Lovely sounds but out of my wallet's humble reach. Do any cheap alternatives offer a bit of their sound at Aldi/Tesco prices? iStomp, Zoom MS100BT downloads or the Line 6 M5 perhaps?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spacecadetspacecadet Frets: 671
    Bearing in mind who the Strymon guys used to work for, probably worth looking at the Line 6 stomps. DL4, MM4. Not as good, suck tone but essentially a budget version. The Zoom stuff is very good though.
  • scarry67scarry67 Frets: 144
    The Zoom Stomp Store, I think it's called, has several imitations which sound pretty good through an iPad. Models not on MS50 or 70 (yet...)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I chose Strymon. I am now a poor man. Ergo, the poor mans option is Strymon.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554
    I can't afford a flint, so I get my wife to turn the master up and down.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited June 2014
    /\ Wisdom! 

Which Strymon sounds/pedals are you looking to emulate on the cheap?
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    edited June 2014
    double post
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The line 6 pedals really sound nothing like them. The DL4 algorithm hasn't been updated since 1999.

The TC electronic pedals are the nicest mid range reverb/delays I've tried but even they don't sound quite the same. Belle epoch is a good el capistan alternative but still quite pricey.
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
    If its what you really want then buy a Strymon. My own previous experience of cost cutting with pedals just ends up with me buying loads of pedals with relatively little resale value, which usually add up to the cost of the thing I wanted in the first place.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Zoom MS70CDR? Heard amazing things about this.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    How easy is it to change patches on the Zoom in a live situation with only a single footswitch?
  • Drew_fx;257062" said:
    Yup, want.
    crunchman said:
    How easy is it to change patches on the Zoom in a live situation with only a single footswitch?
    It's a piece of piss if you've got it in playlist mode. But then you can't bypass the thing. So it's kinda one or the other... ability to bypass the effects, or ability to switch the preset. Throw the pedal in a true-bypass looper, and then you can leave it in preset mode.
    /\ Wisdom!  Which Strymon sounds/pedals are you looking to emulate on the cheap? The Flint sounded particularly amazing. Although none were less than mightily impressive...
    Thanks to Drew_fx: know where my money's heading now, having enjoyed demo.
    It's a killer pedal. Kinda wish I'd kept it lol.
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 567
    If its what you really want then buy a Strymon. My own previous experience of cost cutting with pedals just ends up with me buying loads of pedals with relatively little resale value, which usually add up to the cost of the thing I wanted in the first place.
    Agreed, this principle can be applied to so many things, have a wisdom

• I have had the zoom ms70cdr a few months now(thanks to Drew's thread and review)
    Have used in countless open Mic/gig situations and is great once you get used to menu and switching etc.
    I currently have a digitech blues screamer into ms70cdr straight to P.A.
    Have also recorded with it and the.song was played on BBC introducing last month :-)
    so a big thumbs up from me.
    Cheers Mark.
  • therose789therose789 Frets: 467
    I have an M5 (now broken) you can get some really cool sounds out of it however after using it alongside a guitarist who was using both a big sky and a time line you can really hear the difference and it doesnt even come close.

The positive thing i will say about the M5 is that the reverbs are really flexible and you can get some nice sounds out of it, great for ambient kind of stuff, swells etc.... i really liked the particle verb until mine died (used the wrong power supply!) and i dont think you can get that same sound on a big sky! 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I have an M5 (now broken) you can get some really cool sounds out of it however after using it alongside a guitarist who was using both a big sky and a time line you can really hear the difference and it doesnt even come close.

The positive thing i will say about the M5 is that the reverbs are really flexible and you can get some nice sounds out of it, great for ambient kind of stuff, swells etc.... i really liked the particle verb until mine died (used the wrong power supply!) and i dont think you can get that same sound on a big sky! 
    I currently have M5, Timeline, and Big Sky.  Have had Nova Delay and Boss DD6 in the past.

The Strymon stuff is on a different level to all the others tonally.  Even where they have the features they just don't sound as good.

The M5 is a great pedal for what it is, but it's not as good as the Strymons.  Likewise the Nova Delay is a perfectly competent delay (until it goes wrong) but the Timeline smokes it.  The DD6 is completely impractical.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom